Jobs to have in the ski industry/ good degrees other than engineering

Ilivetoski

• Baller
Interesting topic, I am a middle school physical education and health teacher. I love my job as I get to spend time helping teach youngsters to live active and healthy lifestyles. Also, I get lots of ski time in the summer and spend lots of time with my family. That begin said I would probably not advise my kids to go into my chosen profession. With the cost of college now days my bachelor and masters degree would cost way more than the earning potential in my chosen field. I like the idea of informing kids and parents about the average earnings for the chosen major. The days of just getting a degree and making money are over college may not be the best investment for some professions.

• Baller
Experience, experience, experience! I work in marketing, and actually know very few colleagues that have marketing degrees. My undergrad was poli-sci when I got into my field (I later went on to get an MBA, only because my company paid for it). Of course, if you're going to be doing something specialized, like engineering, you'd be required to have that degree, but a business degree could take you pretty far in the waterski industry. I sold MC's while I was in college, and could've gone on to work directly for MC after I graduated, but I went on the road in a rock band instead. I know you don't want to be in sales, but it's a great gateway into the industry. On a side note, I'm still a professional musician, and make a great supplemental income without "working". Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life!

• Baller
No truer statement ever made: It's not what you know but, who you know. Think of every person you ever spend a little time getting to know as a potential ally. They may turn out to be just that. The world ain't a meritocracy. Connections matter so, respect their power.

• Baller_

From Jbrake on down, very true words. Many if not most desirable jobs end up going to the person that has some level of personal relationship to the hiring company/person. Advice on that - while you are in school and if you want to work for a ski company do your best to go for a (no pay) internship at any of the companies you would like to work for. Networking is a key element to get the job you want, no better way to network than being there.

@jbrake: Yes, that is funny and awesome...

• Baller

I'm with @jcamp on his earlier post. Fun and work should remain separate but that's for each person to decide for themselves. I worked at summer camps teaching beginner waterskiing, sailing, windsurfing, whitewater kayaking, and just about everything else water related. It was a blast and I enjoyed it a lot but it's hard to separate your love for what you do and your hate for the little nuisances that inevitably come with recreation jobs. I also worked at a golf course and enjoyed that too. 95% of golfers I knew were cool people to hang out with but that 5% spoiled it for me.

I majored in aerospace engineering and struggled through it my entire college career. I couldn't count the times I considered different majors on all my fingers and toes. For the record, the highest form of math I use in my job is algebra. Ultimately, it came down to one simple decision... Do I want to enjoy my job and do the same in my free time or do I want to get a good paying job with a standard schedule so that I have enough time and money to do all the things I enjoy in my free time. I chose a good paying job, enjoy it, and still do all the things I enjoy on the side.

For me, the recreation jobs have a much larger friendship network but they all do the same thing. Real jobs seem to be more filled with family oriented people so your friend network for other activities has to be built elsewhere which can be tough. Took me 5 years or more to find and build up that friend base but it's awesome now.

• Baller

Career advice in general...

Expand your network - Your next job will not come from Monster. It will be via a person who knows someone who knows how great you are. That connection may be via a sport club, your church, a volunteering organization, school affiliation, your child's sport team, etc. Make connections everywhere. Maintain contact with those who are along your desired career path.

Dress/model/exhibit success - You have to present a perception of success even during difficult tasks or situations. If you want a manager's job, think about what the persona of a successful manager looks like. Adopt that persona even if you are currently in an individual contributor position. Dress like you are a leader. Perception matters just as much as delivering results. Do only 1 well, and you will go far; but do both well and you will achieve your goals.

Find a mentor - This person doesn't even have to be in your own company or industry. Just someone who you can discuss career/work issues without and fears or reservations and get advice from someone who is successful and above your career level.

Make your boss look good always - Find out how your boss is measured/judged by his or her leadership and ensure that your job feeds both your goals/objectives and your boss'. Never correct your boss in front of others, address this privately and come with mitigations to help sidestep the error without attention.

Drive your own success - Humble people have difficulty bragging on themselves. In your career, you have to sell yourself and your accomplishments. Always be thinking about how your activities, skills, knowledge, abilities, and expertise can be pitched as an asset. Write this down at least quarterly (even if your job doesn't require progress checkpoints). These notes become your resume and interview answers for your next job.

Expect Change, Change is Opportunity - Nothing stays the same, expect change. Deadlines are pulled in, budgets cut, costs grow, etc. Be creative and react by looking for mitigations that still drive forward. People who react to adversity by adapting to it will push past it with success. This is true of careers. Demand for skills changes over time, be adaptable. Always keep learning new skills. Always notice how the core abilities (problem-solving, accountability, delivering results, driving forward, and adaptability) are always transferable skills to any job in any industry in any career.

Drama/Politics/Mean People Exist in Life - students deal with this crud in school and often hope it disappears once they are in the adult world. Nope. There will always be coworkers who will step on you to boost themselves higher. Just be aware. When you identify these people, simply minimize your amount of engagement with them. Document your own contributions and success so as to be prepared to counter any lies they put upon you. Avoid getting pulled into the discussions about others and the drama. The most successful people are more interested in talking about what will take the project to the next level than talking about other coworker's personalities/shortcomings/issues, etc. Gossip is never constructive. If you wouldn't say it in an interview on TV, then you probably shouldn't say it in a small group at the office.

• Baller

I worked part-time during college at a high tech manufacturing company. I ended up making some good connections and got a fulltime job there. Every job I've had since has been through some connection I've made either professionally or personal. There so much competition out there that its hard to get your resume noticed.

On the otherside there was this guy back when I had that first fulltime job who sent out an email to management that made me look really bad. Well about 5 years later at a different job my manager gave me a resume to look at, well it was that guy. I quickly gave it back and said you don't want this a-hole, man did I enjoy that.

• Baller

Wow, Greg... I almost included that tip in my list, but I thought it was already too long...

Don't burn any bridges ever. You never know when that person may be the one who can launch or kill your next career opportunity.