Anyone skiing on a Mapple 6.1?

skifan

• Baller
I am thinking of upgrading to a Mapple 6.1 or the Goode Nano One XT. They both seem to be the same type, a cross between a traditional slalom ski and a wide ride. I am 5'8" 195 lbs, I think this will be beneficial to me. Any input about these skis would be great.

• Baller
I spoke to a guy at pacific slalom the other day and he was on a Nano One and said that the Nano One was a ton of work behind the boat. He has not ridden the XT yet but he expects the XT to be less work behind the boat but not quite as good coming under you after the buoy.

• Baller
Though I'm a bit rusty and still on an ankle that is not fully healed...I will be in ORL arriving Thursday...get a set on my Razor and the next day skiing with Andy on whatever ski he thinks I should try. If it's a 6.1 will report the findings. If it's promising enough to buy given how it skis, I will have 2 more days on it before returning to Southern Canada for winter. If not hoping for some help optimizing set-up on the Razor. Not sure if the ankle will allow me to push deep. Last time I skied was a few weeks ago in drysuit running 35's in some discomfort but no shorter.

• Baller_

I went from a 66.75" nano one to the Mapple 6.1 in aug and love it. Have not tried the 6.0 or the xt.

The 6.1 is a shade wider than the 6.0, but a lot wider than the nano one.

The 6.1 is the first ski I have been on in a long time where the ski does everything it is suppose to and I can focus on correcting my technique. It is very stable, easy to ride and loves to create angle and space.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_
Shane, you need to compare skis of similar length. When i put the 67" 6.1 next to the 66.75 nano1, the Mapple was approx 0.4" wider in front of the front binding and approx 1/4" wider in front of the fin box. Deep water starts were great on that thing, but a tad too big, so I went to the 66" (I'm 190 lbs) and has plenty of area.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@ilivetoski Your friend may be surprised by how easily the XT comes under him after the bouy. I've had to take .013" out of the factory length and add .005" to the factory depth just to settle my XT down. Now that it's not over-turning so easily for me, I'm running within half a ball of my of 4@-35 pb regularly on it, even when I'm skiing like a knucklehead. I've found the XT to be a very turny and forgiving ski.

• Baller
What level skier are you ? You can demo both of those skis for about $200 for 30 days. (Demo fee plus shipping and handling )don't rule out the Vapor or Prophecy. What is more valuable to you ? More sets or a higher bouy count ? I got more buoys on the XT but but could ride the Mapple for more sets. The Goode was tougher on my 50 year old back .

• Baller

Love my Nano OneXT.....Came off a Nano One and before that a Nano Twist Mid-Ride.

I have been running 4@38 with consistency (almost every set).

I for one love everything about this ski. Wife will have one this spring. In 2sets she ran a PB on a Nano One........

GOODE SKIIS JUST FLAT OUT WORK! Look at the titles and winners of tournaments, especially the 34 mph guys and gals..........just saying

For the last month I've been comparing the Nano One (65.25) vs the Vapor (66). The Nano One takes a lot of effort, but I ski well on it. It skis very consistent. It slows down quickly because it rides deeper in the water, therefore I can ski with less than ideal technique approaching the buoy and still maintain a tight line. The Vapor requires less effort, skies wider, earlier and gains tremendous angle. However, the Vapor is more technique sensitive than the N1. As long as I keep my hips up and forward approaching the buoy, the Vapor is awesome. At the end of the day I prefer the Vapor, but I haven't tried an XT or a Mapple.

• Baller
In September, I moved from a Mid Ride to the 6.1 - 66". I'm 195-200 and it does not feel small. Very similar to my Mid Ride but turns off-side better and is quicker across course. Like my Mid, it is very stable and allows me to make some mistakes without punishing me. The biggest difference is when I do make a mistake, the 6.1 gets me back in the pass quicker.

• Baller
I'd love to try the 6.1 but after buying the 6.0 in April I think my ski budget is spent for the next few years! I love the 6.0! I am riding a 68 even though I'm only 6 ft and 190. I plan to stay about this weight this winter (instead of ballooning up to 205 like I usually do) by using my new personal trainer Jenny Labaw, eating better, and drinking less (booze). Looking forward to seeing what more balanced, better conditioning can do for me in 2014!

• Baller

@AB ...... I try a few different skis a year, I just always end up back on my GOODE. Like I said, it just works, especially for me. I contribute a large chunk of my success going from 15' Off to 38' Off in the last 3 years to getting on a GOODE ski. Yes my form and technique have improved, but I think getting on a ski that works, helped me get to the next level. If I hopped on brand X ski and it had potential to run me into 39.5 I WOULD JUMP SHIP IN A SECOND! Just haven't found that BRAND X yet......... Will being on a GOODE ski do that for everyone? Who knows, until you try........ BUT my wife ran her first full pass on a NANO ONE WITH POWERSHELLS....... coming off of her BRAND X current ski, I will be buying her a nice new Nano OneXT in the spring for sure. It seems to work for her as well.

Since I don't get anything from GOODE by saying their skiis ROCK, or anything from my wife's success (Well OK, MY WIFE RAN HER FIRST FULL PASS!!!!! MORE SKIING FOR ME WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT!!!!!!!I) ............................ I would change my username in a second if another ski worked better for me......... but probably not changing my user name anytime soon......

Anyone like PINK skis...... I have a lady's ski in PINK for sale........

• Baller

Have ridden both and they are nothing like each other. N XT is deep riding, super predicable, and a lot of effort (vs the 6.1) in the wake crossing. The 6.1 is much less effort to ride and the turns are more of a "pivot" as described on the Mapple web site. Both work well, but are different.

I have a 66" 6.1 for sale BTW. PM me if interested.

• Baller

I am on one of the early N1's. Has a lot of rocker in it. It has worked really well for me but, it is a lot of work. 6' 180lbs on 65.25. I can be super wide on the N1 but almost never early. For those of you who have skied both the N1 and the XT, by what degree is the XT flatter and quicker side to side as advertised? Thanks

• Baller

@ktm300 I think the XT is faster cross the wakes and turns just as well as the old version. I "upgraded" because the 65.25 N1 I was on was just too small for me........ Since then I am on the 66" N1xt and have lost 25 lbs....... so, maybe I should have stayed on the 65.25 since I am now 180 lbs. Oh well, who would have known I had will-power when it came to french fries?

I would not have made the switch to the XT if not for the different sizing, BUT I do think it is a better ski across the wake and doesn't shut down as much on me in the turn. I am consistantly into 3 and 4 ball @ 38' Off on the XT. I was not on the N1..... Sizing? Rocker? Flex? Mental? Who knows........

I was on a Radar Strada at the start of the year and tried both the 6.0 and the 6.1 and for me I preferred the 6.0 (current ski). I liked them both however felt that the 6.0 had better cross course speed and kicked you out better before the bout and also felt that I struggled to get the 6.1 to finished the turn. I did only have 1 set on the 6.1 so with my time it may have worked for me, but as soon as I got on the 6.0 I loved it! Best ski I have had in a long time.