Can't ski on new ski

Olddave

Wow

After a15 year break from skiing I am shocked at the difference in hardware or maybe it's just me.

I have probably owned 15-20 new high end slalom skis since 1978 and the last being a connelly attack in 98

I skied most into short line and the attack into 35 off at 36mph consistently in the late 90's

I got back on my old ski this year and did some free skiing , other than being way out of shape, the ski and I felt the same and all good.

My friends all said that ski tech has changed dramatically in the past 15 years and that I need to ditch the boat anchor and get on some modern hardware.

From memory, each time I have upgraded my skis in the past, all have been an improvement and I could feel comfortable on them all after a short while.

I purchased myself a new non current HO S1 and put on the new HO apex bindings on it.

66" and I m 175 lbs

Factory settings and I can't ski on it.

I don't just mean uncomfortable, I can't turn it, cross the wakes or do anything!

Forget the course, I fell through the gates?

I compared my set up with another S1 and it is about the same.

I can't seem to get the ski in the water and my knees bent to get the ski down.

The bindings are as stiff as rocks and seem to cause my position to be straight legged and weight way back.

I tried a run with the bindings undone and at 32 mph and it felt better, but way behind where I am on my old attack.

I sent the ski out with another skier(he also skis on a S1) and he skied it just fine.

I am confused.

Have ski styles changed soo much over 15 years that I have to completely adapt to something new?

I think the bindings are too upright and keeping my knees straight.anybody had this with the HO apex's

My friend skied just fine on it and that is what confuses me.

Looking for thoughts

And no, I don't think returning to my old connelly is the best answer

Thanks

• Baller
Probably bindings. If the holes are the same. Try your old bindings on the new stick. Or, like Horton said, just chill and after a couple weeks in the Spring you will adapt. If you ran 35 on that*um* Thing, you will adapt!

• Baller
I agree that bindings are most likely the culprit. I'd be willing to bet you could put those bindings on your old ski and wouldn't ski very well either. Especially if you're coming from a soft binding and the Apex is a little stiffer, it will be a whole new feel.

• Baller
I came back after almost 20 years off. Ended up using d3 t-factor. They were a nice compromise to full shell boots. First ski back I was on a Strada. I ended up about 1/2" back on the front from stock at the recommendation of several top skiers. So you might research the # some for that ski.

• Baller
As several others said, binding change is usually more of a challenge than a ski change. As @horton said however the hole pattern may be way off. Nevertheless, I would redrill or whatever is necessary to the old bindings to make them fit he S1 and ride it that way until things feel comfortable, then switch to the new bindings. Both at the same time = trouble.

• Baller

Unless the bindings are over your knees it is probably stiffer on your ankles and not feeling comfortable so you are skiing with a stiff front leg and bent rear as a more stable position.

Would like to see some video if

Possible.

I have put my binders on my old HO Extreme for kicks a couple years ago and I was like a fish on a bicycle. How I ran into 35 off at 36 mph on it I will never know. Maybe my athleticism has slipped a lot more than I care to admit, but the new skis are tons better.