ROY G. BIV

Gloersen

• Baller
I think of Roy G. Biv as a 1st grade kinda thing. BUT I have to admit that I failed to notice the ski rope colors were in that same rainbow order until a guest pointed it out one day about a decade ago: "I like your rainbow rope" was all she said, and all of a sudden I realized I had been VERY unobservant for about 20 years...

• Baller

Wow - did the inventors of the loop colors know all this? It works too in that red is the least energy light color, progressing to more energy as you move through the ROY G BIV. (That's why red light filters out first as you go deeper under water).

So, Red rope, least energy to ski, and so forth....

• Baller

I may be the one responsible for the order of colors in the slalom towrope. I'd have to refer to the old Rulebooks, that would have been circa 1970. Yet another task to do when I "Snowbird" it to Florida this Winter.

I was initially appointed to the Technical Committee in 1966, later was Chairman, and on it for quite a few years. Initially, circa 1964, the only tournament rope approved was the AWSA black & white. I don't recall the exact years, or when it went from 8-strand to 12-strand, and then to being marketed by other suppliers, and coming out with colored shortenings, which had no standard initially.

I thought about the colors of the rainbow, which at that time I knew as:

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple. At that time, the towline for AWSA was dimensioned in feet, not metric, and the shorter shortline loops were rare. Didn't think of anything beyond purple initially.