Bananan Man passed away~!

Brewski

• Baller
Sad to see him go. I remember reading the story about how he hurt his back. He was in college during the depression so he would hop on trains, riding the box cars, from Miami University to his home in Toledo. He hurt his back when he was thrown from the train by a couple of hobos that wanted his food.

• Baller

RIP George. Met him at pro-tour stop in MN where I competed in a "challenge the pros" event. He signed my hat and gave me some footing advice on a trick with which I was struggling. Pretty sure he gave me a banana as well! Great guy who will be missed.

• Baller

Back when the Tour was in its prime, so was George's fame. He would do barefooting exhibitions at some Tour stops. At times where I might meet someone traveling on a plane or similar, and they'd see my shirt with Tour logos, the person they were likely to mention first was Banana George.

At a Tour stop in Des Plaines, IL, a top slalomer had just finished their run and was getting into the pickup boat, right in front of the crowd. A wave of applause went up, and the skier turned to acknowledge it. But, the applause was for Banana George working through the crowd. Handing out bananas, of course.

• Baller
Met George at a Pro Tour stop in St Paul, MN many years ago. What a great guy! Ran into him again at Footstock in Crandon, WI. What a day! He tried to do a step off run against Fleck (I believe). George bit it hard on the step off and there was a delay. He then deeped up front and back and did some tricks. When he came in he had an egg on his head the size of a tennis ball. He had hit the ski when he missed the step off! He was still in his usual great spirits, walking around the crowd, shaking hands, signing signatures, and giving away bananas. RIP Banana George!

• Baller_
If you did anything on the water behind a boat you knew of him. If you ran into him, or he walked by, he most likely handed you a banana. Coolest barefoot suite ever!! Cannot think of a more recognizable icon for water sports, or better ambassador to the sport and he was a true ambassador to living healthy and strong. Your never to old. If I can find it, I want to post a pic of my daughter with him when she was 7 or so. Was at Cyprus Gardens and yes, she got a banana. Love that pic. Big loss to the sport RIP.