It is time to get a trick ski

Erik4c

• Baller

@erik4c, I've only been a tricker since I got to college but at 5'8 5'9 and 185lbs I found that learning was easy on a pair of Obrien combo trick skis and once I was down to 1 I got a 44" D3 with rubber edges.

@balsamcutter, I don't really know much about ski sizing other than what I was told to get so I can't be much help other than starting on combos is good since the no fin aspect is challenging for balance even for a long time slalom skier.

• Baller
All I can say is I was starting to trick. Tried my buddies Quantum with Reflex one day. WOW! Dont waste your time on a combo, bite the bullet and go out and get a legit trick ski. I picked up a reflex and Radar Graviton. Love the Radar so much I fly off the wake!

• Baller
Right, get a real trick ski ASAP. Night and day difference from a combo trick. Good used trick skis are hard to find, particularly in the longer lengths (43+). Back in 2009 I had to buy a brand new 43 Custom X, not because I was so good but because I could not get one used.

• Baller

I tried on a set of Obrien pro trac tricks with sliders combos - felt silly and fell a lot. Took one and put a wiley's with a rear toe plate, and that was better. Don't see a value to two unless perhaps you are on a college team...

Then I bought a D3 and put a hardshell on it. Even better, Within three rides of the D3 I got my reverse, which I had never done on the Obrien.

• Baller

@balsamcutter I don't think there is any downside to putting your son on a 43" trick right now. It will give him room to grow and frankly will be easier to ski on as he is learning the surface stuff. I spoke with the Baldwin's grandfather at a tournament when they were younger and they were on 43" skis back then when I am sure they weighed less than 100 lbs.

D3, Quantum or the Radar would all work fine.

• Baller_

I tricked alot years ago and before my kids started tricking, I got a lot of advice on beginners, but 2 things stood out consistently: 1) go straight to 1 ski and 2) go straight to a hardshell.

At 175, you should get a 43 or 44" and Horton is right (I think that's twice), bigger is better.

Flip a 3 sided coin for a D3, Quantum, or Radar. You'll be happy with any of those.

Balsamcutter, at 100lbs and growing, get a 42" and follow the above. There was a thread a few weeks ago that Russell gave some great advice on starting out with the kids.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8497/junior-trick-skis

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Good advice above. I'll second the D3 hardedge, Quantum and (although I haven't personally skied it) Radar skis and a Reflex binding. One more ski to add to consideration is the Goode trick. The large sizes ski well for beginners too.

Some skis are available used. Old D3 hardedge skis are OK as are older Quantums and Goodes. Stay away from anything else old. These skis are significantly better for the developing skier.

Advanced skiers can take advantage of some useful traits of Goodman or Reflex skis. Certainly try those once you get a good baseline.

Eric

• Baller

Other than a hardshell? Get a hardshell.

We tried a Radar boot mounted to one of my skis. It worked OK and was reasonably light. Does the Radar boot count as a hardshell to you?

Trick ski binding release needs are different from your slalom ski. I'm not sure I ever want a release. A release is much less likely to prevent an injury. A prerelease is quite likely to cause an injury. Choose a boot for comfort and performance.

Hardshells don't last as long on a trick ski as rubber boots. I do know a few skiers who have moved back to rubber boots and are quite good. I however can't switch off hardshells.

Reflex, FM, Goode or something funky and homemade can all work. Maybe Radar too.

Eric

• Baller
Hard or soft, get a binding that is comfortable too. As a beginner, you spend a lot of time sitting in the water waiting for the boat to come back to get you. It really sucks waiting for that boat to idle back when your foot is killing you.

• Baller

@Andy Radar Strada or RS1. Just go Reflex or FM. The HO98 will hold you back as will the HO trick. It's worth the money for a D3/Reflex.

@BraceMaker Wileys are very heavy and uncomfortable and you stay in a lot. Excellent performance for a rubber binding, however.

Eric

• Baller

@John_Brooks Wakeboards rock for beginners. Kirk went to his first Nationals on a wakeboard. But at around 700 points a trick ski gets a significant advantage.

Make sure that you pull the fins off the wakeboard and that it is narrow enough to be legal.

Eric

@eleeski I had a wiley on mine but it cramped me up too fast and it wasn't enjoyable or conducive to learning as I couldn't last on it very long. I thought about just going to a reflex but I only use the trick ski as a hobby for now and wasn't sure I wanted to drop the money on it yet. I found leftover strada's cheap so I threw one on. So far no complaints but all I do is get up and ride around. That said I ended up with a leftover reflex shell after trying black & white on my slalom and could probably just pick up the completed plate for the trick if it'd be all that worth it. What do you think? For reference I can't do diddly yet; if I could work up to your college girl run I'd be pretty satisfied. By then maybe I'd find out if I wanted to progress any more.