What ballers are going to Watersports Fest in Orlando

DooSPX

• Baller_

@The_Krista. Cool Vid. May I suggest posting a link here or front page for buying tickets (cheaper in advance). Had to fumble around a bit with Google search to find them. Turns out it could be done through a local radio stations web site. Not where I thought they would be. Just a thought. Here is where I found them.

https://www.eventbrite.com/event/8152625723

• Baller_

So one final plea for the powers that be at this event.

According to the video @The_Krista posted, they are expecting between 5 and 7 thousand in attendance. With that said, my guess is that only 5% will be in-the-know slalom skiers. That leaves a heck of a lot of not-in-the-know average joes watching.

So what will the average joe crowd understand, watch, and be drawn to?

Wakeboard- is covered. Scores really don't matter to most cause the tricks are visually stunning and look unique from one to the next. And lets not forget the boats pulling them. As much as we love our slalom tugs, the wakeboard boats are jaw dropping.

Jump- is covered. It is visually exciting as well. Who ever goes furthest wins. Way simple. Then there is the "waiting for a crash" aspect that the average joe, of course wishes on no one, but will not look away when it happens (Nascar).

Slalom- not so much. Well, it is visually stunning but the same thing keeps happening over and over and then someone falls. Looks exactly the same from shore to the average joe no matter what line. So, in order to understand whats going on, they turn to what they hear. And they hear "...just ran his 35 off pass". Then they hear "he just ran his 38 off pass". And then they hear "he just ran his 39 off pass and will be skiing 41 off next". So to the average joe, what does that sound like? Well, considering they have no idea what "off" means, it sounds like the line is getting LONGER. Joes thought; How is that harder? Why did they fall? Why does he keep saying off? Off what? And so on until the interest is gone.

I watched it happen at Soaked over and over. And it was not easy explaining taking 32 feet off a 75 foot rope and the skier uses that. Then put the 32 feet back on and take 35 feet off and so on. It just cant be explained completely and enough by announcers. I don't watch Nascar because I don't really get it. But with cable I have many opportunities to learn. We only have the 95% once unlike Nascar or any other sport. All the "off" announcing just does not compute for the average Joe. Math is not something they have to do watching any other sport. We don't say the jumper was 80 feet short of 300.

So for the sake of the 95% that are there, please announce in FEET LEFT ON THE LINE (40ft rope vs 35 off) so it sounds like whats actually happening...the rope is getting shorter. The 5% will still watch intently, they can do the quick math. They can handle it. And as for the average joe, well they might just get excited about something they now understand. Cant hurt. Really it cant. No down side.

That's my plea. Announce in line on. PLEASE.

• Baller

@doospx 12 is start. Slalom semis up first. Jump simis 4:30. Slalom final 6-7. 8:30-9:30 jump finals.

I was by the site today for some set up. Looks cool.

@wish @doospx @skierjp @chadw @the_krista I will be in the Spray it Forwarss/69 Slam booth and abouts. Stop me and say hi. I may or may not have some stickers to give out! Don't be strangers.

• Baller_
@MattP I'll try an find ya. I should wear my Atlanta ProAm bib. Cant miss that. To much? On second thought... will go with the army green T that H2O-Proshop sent me. Says "Ride the water" on the front I think. H2O on the back. I need to oder a BOS hat.

• Baller

@wish I know what you look like!

@wish @doospx @skierjp @chadw @the_krista if anyone has ski eqiptment they would like to donate to Spray it Forwards to help college skiing bring it with you. I will collect it and take it back to the shop. I will also be explaining more what we have planned if someone wants to chat about it. I'm on the board of directors.

I'm headed over now to go get set up

• Baller_
@DooSPX good to meet you. Sorry we couldn't chat longer. Did get to meet @The_Krista as we were all crossing a street walking to the site. Super nice super sweet. Enjoyed the event. Oh, and @MattP was no was now were to be found. Was he even there? Hmmmm? ;)

• Baller

I was there! I more than likely had my ear to a radio, at the announcers stage, or at the jump computer tweeting scores. I was also at the 69Slam booth. I did have to socialize as well with ski friends I had not seen in a bit. It was a great time. Hopefully this event can grow to something larger each year @the_krista 726020a3f1e13f337a73ea99772348.jpg329d6f5fc04d57f7be443301545638.jpg

2b1a482b31ad2145d7878229c090e6.jpg

I will load the pictures I have up in another day or so. Congratulations to Nate and all the other skiers for winning Orlando. Hope they do it again next year! Also, thanks for Nautique, HO Skis and others who helped make it possible!