Goode PowerShell Repair

klindy

Anybody have any better ideas to attach the boot to the plate? I tore to front boot loose twice yesterday. The extra large slots and relatively soft plastic coupled with the minimal plate contact and narrow spaced screws makes for a weak connection.

Are the boots ABS plastic or something else? I could weld some plastic to the shell if I knew what plastic it is.

Yeah - Somehow I pulled the heel through the washers and repaired it onsite. Second set hit a buoy and plate came off the ski and front boot came clear off the plate. Hard fall for sure. Even bent the washers and t-nuts on the front side.

I haven't had any trouble in two years with it until then. I always thought the way they are attached to the plate is the weakest link.

I was able to repair things pretty well. I made an thin aluminum 'plate' which fits inside the boot which makes it impossible to pull the washers through the plastic. We'll see how it holds up.

For what it's worth, the boot can't be PVC or ABS since it's not affected by either solvent.

• Baller

@klindy Attaching the shells is a challenge. There is a lot of load on the plastic. The big washer plate is your best bet.

I break a couple of shells a year. Glassing in a heel cup didn't work that well as a repair. The shells smell like polyethylene but it is probably a special formula. Plastic welding hasn't worked well. My latest repair used material from an old shell and welded in some metal screen. I'll see how it works - when my hip heals.

Eric