"S" initiation: A gatechanger

Than_Bogan

• Baller

Noting the @jordan video. At Kris LaPoint's tournament on November 1st, I saw Parrish do this.

He was hurting a bit, and only skied one round, but he did get 1/2 way down 41 off. Jennifer

Leachman LaPoint was using the same approach.

BTW: Kris: 1 @ 41 all 3 rounds there, with the conventional gate approach.

• Baller

The stuff with Mapple running with no real gate is in the video he does with Gordon Rathburn. I think he runs through at least -38. The big thing I took from it isn't that my gate doesn't need to get better but don't panic if your gate isn't perfect there is still a lot of time and space to run the pass. Of course I have never tried it.

On the S wiggle before the turn in the more I watch it I am not sure it is a deliberate S or just the skier trying to make sure they maintain their width before turning in for the gates. Many high end skiers I see video of still have some spray coming off the right side of their ski before they turn in for the gates. This tells me they are still edging away from the wakes slightly to maintain their width. Many skiers I ski with (myself included) seem to go flat and glide which lets them drift in towards the wakes and give up the width they developed.