Faults vs. Individuality of Technical Mastership

webbdawg99

• Baller

Here is an excerpt from an article I recently read about weightlifting. I can't help but think about how it may or may not parallel slalom skiing. I agree with the basis of the article. We all walk, run, skip, sit....and ski differently. What works for you may just not work for me because of physiological differences. Thoughts?

"One of the first questions I ever asked John Coffee was what lifter’s technique I should emulate. John said “Noone. Everyone is made a little differently, you lift the way you lift.” Anatomical variations dictate that the barbell will be negotiated from the ground to overhead in a different manner from person to person; a coach must be able to recognize that a slight deviation from what is taught in weightlifting videos, seminars, etc. is not necessarily a fault, but a product of this individual difference.

From the ’85 Weightlifting Symposium, Dr. Angel Spassov writes, “We suppose that highly qualified weightlifters have high individuality of technical mastership. This stipulates some deviations from the well-known laws, which can be quite significant, and sometimes can be qualified even as mistakes or errors in the readings.”

Anatomists have concluded that there is on average a 30% variance in anatomical structure between two random subjects, whether it be relative limb length, muscle and tendon origin and insertion points, etc. I’m certainly not trying to quantify an exact variation that is acceptable. I’m trying to say that we’re all different. Some will perceive any variation to a standardized technique as a fault. It is ultimately the coach’s prerogative as to how he distinguishes between faults and variations (if at all)."

This is another example of the Pareto Principle. There are the masses (like me) and the genetic freaks like Nate and Chris that have what we call "natural talent." I can likely get to a decent pass if I work hard enough. However, I am extremely unlikely to ever challenge the world record given the best equipment, training, and time available. That said, we all have potential to ski well, or better. It is up to us to unlock how it works best for us. That does not give an excuse to sloppy or dangerous technique, though.

• Baller

@webbdawg99 - thanks for sharing. I have wondered about this myself as there are many examples of this in other sports (hockey, golf, football, etc) too.

It would be interesting to get a sample of the BOS members and their physical characteristics and compare notes on what challenges each "group" faces. A new poll question?

• Baller
Good topic. Years ago the concept of gait training was popular for a while with NFL trainers. It did not last because they found that when the bright lights came on and it was game time, people run like they run. For the athletically average like me, we have to focus on technique as our own instincts betray us. For a real natural athlete, their instincts rock.

• Baller

@ktm300 - I would also say that the VISION of a REAL "natural" athlete is NOT the norm. They "SEE" things at a much "slower" pace. Kind of like racing a car - at super high speeds your mind slows things down, and that becomes the "norm."

@skijay - I'm sure you can comment on that. Can you elaborate on that?

• Baller
I think @sethski has made reference to coaching the individual bc natural variations exist. We all work so hard to emulate a certain skier or apply a specific technique. Maybe we are approaching it wrong. But yes, fundamentals are fundamentals and should not be ignored.

• Baller

@Skoot1123 The slowing down of time you're referring to is called a flow moment, more commonly referred to as being in the zone. That's more a product of extensive experience and mastery than it is of natural ability, and many people experience it. Surgeons, mountain climbers, professional public speakers, even daily drivers experience flow where time slows down or loses relevance and the task takes on an autopilot quality, with the performer almost a spectator in their own masterful execution etc.

In a nut shell, this is what happens when your fundamentals are so deeply ingrained in your subconscious that your subconscious takes over the majority or even all of the task, much like it handles walking, leaving the conscious mind to merely strategise or spectate. This is why good coaches and athletes spend so much time working on the fundamentals of their sport.

Flow moments are what I'm addicted to in race cars, not adrenaline. I'm hoping it will start to happen in my skiing within the next thousand sets or so. Sigh...

• Baller
@ktm300 There's a girl in our club, whose natural instinct when she gets in trouble is to "revert" to a perfect hips up, arms straight, tall, strong, efficient stack. The more trouble she's in, the higher her hips go. She said it's been like that since the fist time she skied. I hate her...

• Baller
@webbdawg99 I love this quote. I do think there are variations in body type that allow some skiers to do things differently then others. However you must be careful how you interpret what he is saying. In Olympic lifting there is an ideal path that the bar should follow on the way to getting overhead. There is an ideal relationship between the lifter and the bar that allows the lifter to apply the largest amount of force. Therefore you need to shoot for the ideals but work with what you have to get as close to it as possible. Just like there is a theoretical ideal path the ski should follow through the course and a theoretical ideal relationship between you and the handle that allows you to apply the most leverage. Shoot for those and work with what you have to get there.

• Baller

This is a good topic.

A few years ago I really got into golf. It was interesting to watch the older guys (i.e. Trevino, etc.) that had very distinct and "imperfect" swings, but all competed at the highest levels. As golf became more big time people started having their kids all coached from an early age and now when you flip on a tour event 90% of the guys look the same. (Yeah, I know Jim Furyk is out there)

Also. There was a good article in WSM by Matt Rini a few months ago about natural stance and shoulder alignment. My youngest daughter (age 7) naturally skis very "compressed" which is not what I am used to seeing. After reading his article I stopped talking to her about "being taller" in her lean and focused on getting her shoulders more open the the boat. Bam! She has picked up 2 passes in the past 6 weeks. There are some "things" you must do, "how" you do them may not matter.

• Baller

Power is good, but technique trumps power. A lifter with proper technique but less raw power will beat the lifter who has max power and lesser technique.

Same for skiing. Power is nice, but technique trumps for sure. Many of us dudes are stronger than every pro female skier at 34 mph, period...and yet they take us to school.

• Baller

@6balls I'm not an Olympic lifter or coach and really have no experience with it, but wouldn't strength to weight ratio be more important then technique? Take two similar sized guys, one squats and dead lifts more then the other by a considerable margin. Even with ugly form I would think the stronger guy could muscle a bar overhead.

There was a young guy that showed up at our club and wanted to learn to ski. He was really strong and had an athletic build.... Just looked like an athlete. Went from running the course the first time to 35 in no time... Seriously pissed me off! Anyway he really did 2 things well, strong athletic position behind the boat and he just held the handle close of the second wake out to the ball. With his strength it looked effortless. I think his strength and power helped in his crazy fast progression.

I wonder how strong those female pros are for their size and weight? Haven't met many of them but from pictures they have very athletic builds.

This could also be the musings of a tall thin dude who has taken a lot longer to progress in the slalom course.

• Baller
@bhs, I would add that some people are simply gifted as athletes and have an innate ability to see something and replicate the movement well. Anybody who goes from long line to 35 off in no time probably possesses a bit of that gift in addition to raw strength. I on the other hand have to pound the movement into my brain a thousand times and when I finally get one part of the movement right, something else has fallen apart. Lather, Rinse, Repeat

• Baller
Power is important and what separates when technique is equal between 2 skiers, so it is important in my mind. Also, the more you weigh, the more you have to hang onto, same path as a lighter skier. An empty boat will outrun a loaded boat, same HP, every time.

• Baller

I am of the opinion that there are specific physical principles that create the most efficient swing, path, etc. in slalom skiing, but the differences in how the athlete stands on the ski and executes these principles can differ drastically. I agree that this is the same in all sports as well. Take golf for example. Stand at a tee box of a pro golf event and watch 100 different swings that all ideally cause the club to strike the ball with maximum speed with the club face straight.

I don't think that in coaching or training we need to ignore what we consider to be ideal or preferred efficient methods, but it is ok to deviate slightly to accommodate to different skiers with different athletic backgrounds, builds, skill-sets, goals, equipment, etc.

I like some of the great comments on this thread. Pretty cool stuff.

I hope you guys all had a great summer and are geared up for a great fall of waterski rides and football.