How to respond to "good skiing" when it wasn't

Than_Bogan

• Gold Member

Based on a few other threads, it appears today is a good day to be an elitist and bring up something I struggled with a bit this last weekend.

In round 2, I ran 2 @ -38. It wasn't long ago I'd have been fairly happy with that score. Now, I am not. In good conditions, 3.5 should really be my minimum.

Several people that day and also the next day made a point of saying something along the lines of "Good skiing." Fwiw, in all such cases, my score had beaten theirs. Each time this happened, I felt a bit like the Terminator with his selection of responses to consider. The cursor flashed temptingly on

You call that #@*!ing good skiing? My dead grandmother could ski better than that $#@^!

But this seems both inappropriate and rude... So where it settled was on

Thank you.

And I walked away.

But even this seemed a bit awkward. I'd like to find some way to communicate that I truly appreciate every step it's taken to get this far, and that I am in no way criticizing anyone for whom 2 @ -38 might be a dream score, but that I am still pissed and I think I have a right be when I know I can ski so much better than that.

Anybody else struggle with this? Found a good way to handle it?

• Baller

Be happy with an opportunity to shoot at 38. Be irritated if you whiff a 35 and don't get your chance. Those of us at (almost identically) your level need a number of tourney cracks to pull one off and if you don't get your shot....well you certainly can't run it. Be satisfied to be looking at 38, be happy if you get deep 38, be excited if you run 38.

It's also ok to say "Thanks. Sure hope to run that sucker one of these times."

• Baller

Praise (?) is given in the eyes of the sender based on his references.

So I guess you can enjoy their apriciation.

Maybe kindly respond that you had higher expectations.

I would enjoy watching any 38 off

We do not see so many of those at my club.

Sorry for the spelling errors.

• Baller
"Thanks" Absolutely. Remember that whatever you run, there is most likely someone out there who thinks " if I could just do that some day". Of course you can throw in "but I was wanting more" which is also true for most everybody out there. (Except Nate of course)

• Baller

A good skiing day is any ski day where you can ski the following day.

Always tried to think like that and reinforced it after rupturing my anterior ligament and disc @ C6-C7 almost two years ago. That was a bad skiing day. After neck surgery and rehab (lost movement and 70% of the strength in my right arm), my first skiing day behind the boat was a GREAT skiing day.

• Baller_
Whiffed my 35 at this yrs Nats. Was really really pissed. Climbing out of the water and the tower judges were walking right toward me. I did not want to talk. Wanted to walk it off. But no way to avoid it. First judge said "what happened. You were in great shape at 5" I said I really couldn't explain it in an exasperated voice. Second judge said "Hay, your here and hundreds are not, so good skiing" Bam right between the eyes. My new answer to questions like that will be "Thanks, appreciate it..." or something along those lines.

• Baller
Remember, most spectators do not know where your peak is nor your expectations but like others have stated - be appreciative that someone else thinks you skied good. It's not like you threw an interception on the last drive when down by 4... didn't strike out with bases loaded - down by one... didn't miss an open jumper as time expired. Not to mention you didn't have thousands of spectators cheering or booing your performance. Long story short... appreciate our sport but realize -- it's not that big of deal if you don't ski to your potential on any given set or round.

• Baller

...and really...we've all had real tourney stinkers, no?

It really bugs me when s'one skis poorly and makes it all about them the rest of the day sulking around. Some other skiers PB'd and probably some novice skiers ran their first pass or nearly so and are ecstatic. Go let their positive attitude rub out a bad performance and give 'em some props rather than let crabbiness ruin a good time. Attitudes are contagious.

Everyone who skis very many tourneys understands the whiff...and understands what it feels like to really stink it up blowing an easy or sub-max pass...so laugh and commiserate. Some days...we are on fire. Some days...we stink. Unfortunately we don't get to pick which one of us shows up on tourney day.

• Baller

I'm usually that guy saying "good skiing." But then I'm thoroughly impressed by anyone who can ski a couple of passes beyond their opener in any tournament. I've noticed that it doesn't matter if they were working their way up the speed range or chipping away at -38, responses seem to fall into two categories: "Thanks, but I know I an do better" or "Are you kidding, that sucked!" Without giving it a second thought, I naturally gravitate towards hanging around the positive people, and tend to avoid the equipment-chuckers.

If one of your goals for attending tournaments is to enjoy the social side of the event, then whatever it takes, no matter how you feel or who you are, "Thanks ... " is really the only appropriate response. And taking it a step further by saying something to the effect of, "Thank you, and how's your skiing going?" can make you a new friend.

• Baller

As disgruntled as I can be with myself with my past performance, I try to remember a few things. First, they genuinely meant the comment as a compliment and to say otherwise makes them feel like you are out of their league and they'll never approach you again...potential friendship gone. Also, having a positive response will quickly make you feel better.

"Thank you" never makes me feel better. Maybe in a joking tone say something along the lines of "Thanks...maybe we can both get a few more tomorrow right?". That should satisfy a smug attitude while being friendly and positive.

• Baller

I like SkiJay's line of thought. Twice I fell at 5 @35 when I was really looking for at least 4 more, and really felt pissed about it, as it was '97 States and same era Regionals, and both times someone did say "nice skiing" when I hit the shore. I said thanks, and how did you do?, and both times had a nice conversation and got my mind away from my disappointment.

What left a lasting impression on me once was a junior skier, seeded near the end at a Regional tournament, going down early, and proceeding to throw a temper tantrum on the shoreline walking back. Dad walked briskly over to him and straightened him out on sportsmanship right quick! Reminded me of times I had tossed the ski on the dock in disgust until someone asked me why I ski if I don't have fun. I surely am not making any money at it!

We all have our goals and standards, and the challenge is not to let these get in the way of enjoying the majority of nice people involved in the sport. Be glad you weren't born in Vietnam or some place that doesn't even know what 38 off is.

• Baller

If you can run a slalom course, you are a better skier than 95% of people that have ever strapped on a slalom ski. "Good skiing" is a relative term. Our perspective is just very skewed.

I remember the first time I rode in the boat and watched a guy run 15 off at 32 mph....I was literally jaw dropped. Having skied open water my whole life....that wasn't just good skiing, that was amazing skiing!

Say "thanks" and keep a good perspective!

• Baller_
I had a similar dilemma a few years ago at the finish of an Ironman triathlon. I did not compete, but I was at the finish with my road bike, wearing bike shorts and shirt. I was walking away from the finish with my bike in one hand and my cleats in the other when a nice older woman says "Congratulations! You must be so happy!" I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to say thanks because that would imply I did compete. I didn't want to tell her I didn't compete because I was afraid she would be embarrassed and it would lead to a longer conversation I didn't want to have. So in pinch I said; "I'm not even tired!" It was true. I wasn't.

Lpskier

• Baller

@Than_Bogan You DID ski well! Revel in it! OK you do better in practice and perhaps that score does not achieve your short term goals - you need to improve things to get there. But step back a bit and realize just how skilled you really are. 2@38 is a bad score only for a really good skier (you must strive to make 2@39 your bad score). On an absolute scale, that truly was "good skiing". Be proud of the score. Congratulations!

MOPing is a different scene. When I congratulate someone who just MOPed and get that quizzical look before the explanation, I certainly change my "good skiing" to "That really sucked! I can beat that score."

Eric

• Baller

I've just gotten back into the tournament scene this summer, and found myself a little star-struck with some of the big names next to me on the starting dock. The ones who thanked me for a compliment have a new fan. The ones who gave off attitude might get another compliment from me in the future and another chance to gain a new fan. Or they might not.

I agree with most responses here; saying "thanks" is always the right thing to do!