Want to do a ski school package but...

Waternut

• Baller

I'm in middle GA and have started looking at ski schools to better my skiing. I've heard good things about the Coble ski school and Jack Travers ski school and they're both about 5-6 hours from me. Any opinions or suggestions?

As much as I'd like to go, I hesitate because I feel like I'd be sitting on the dock or in the boat watching halfway through. Even this late in the season, I free skied Thurs and Fri, did 2 sets on Saturday, 2 sets on Sunday, and I felt like I had a hangover Monday morning even though I didn't drink anything. I'm sure I could do 4 sets in one day but I'm not sure I could do it again the following day/days.

The other worry is my hands. The palm savers help a good bit but aren't perfect. I tried kevlar gloves yesterday and I might as well have put sandpaper in my gloves because those things hurt. Will duct tape work better if I know I will be skiing a lot? I've also heard a second pair of dry gloves could help. Maybe even clincher style gloves?

• Baller

I try to go to a ski school for a week each spring. Usually I'm in skiing shape by then, able to ski 8-10 passes per set. Probably should say I'm 52 yo.

I will alternate 1 set and 2 set days for the week, and maybe double up with 2 set days at the end of the week. That's about as much skiing as I can do for an extended period.

Four sets in one day is nuts, let alone multiple days in a row.

DEFINITELY go and get coaching. You'll be glad you did.

• Baller
@Waternut Most ski schools like Bennett's, Cobles, etc., offer packages with more or less sets to suite your abilities. If you'd be better off with two sets per day or ski every other day, they can usually accommodate you. You really need correct fitting gloves, especially in warm water. They should fit tight when wet and be very difficult to put on dry. This will help minimize blisters. Another trick is to ice your hands before and after sets at the ski school. Freeze some water bottles and use them to ice your palm. Good luck!

• Baller

@Waternut your body will definately ache and be sore after a few days of multiple sets and instruction. Your hands will likely tear blisters and hurt badly. As others have said, do whatever you can to take care of your hands - liners, taping, ice, etc. - and be as fit as you can. Going after a summer of skiing is probably a good idea since you will be in pretty good skiing shape already.

Most ski schools do have flexibility to offer 'half-day' plans, etc. On the other hand pushing yourself is also a good idea. Going in the late summer early fall also means you won't have a bunch of school aged kids there all the time which means the pace is a bit more relaxed, etc.

Definately go!

• Baller
@waternut give some strap gloves a try ie) masterline pro-locks. You will be surprised at the extra grip as well as exceptional hand protection. I take the little dowels out of mine and rough up the strap just a little with fine grit sandpaper before using otherwise they are kinda slick on the handle first time out.

• Baller
@waternut - go! You'll be glad you did! I know Coble's will let you do 1/2 days if you want. +1 to what @chuck_dickey said. Bring some good duct tape (clear is good) and tape strips down your hands if the water is warm. At Coble's you are limited to 6 passes per set - which is a GOOD thing. I took one day and just barefoot for one set as my hands were toast (we didn't bring our good duct tape). My wife and I are planning on going back next year. It REALLY jump started my skiing this year, and has allowed me to progress a TON. You'll never regret it - and you'll have a blast doing it!

• Baller

@Waternut you should definitely go. When I go to ski school I always duct tape my hands running strips of duct tape all the way down my hands to my wrists. This does a good job saving them. The key is to do it from the first set don't wait until they start to hurt. Another things that helps is to put a little ice on them after a set that takes the puffiness out of them. I also use clincher gloves to protect my hands and they help a lot.

I have been to both Cobles and Travers schools and both will work with you if you want to ski a little less. Coble's skis 14 sets over 4 days and Travers does 20 sets over 5 days. The other thing is to mix it up and learn to trick ski or ride the jumpers for a rest set. At Cobles they do wakesurf Wednesdays which is a fun afternoon that saves your hands.

Definitely go to a school it is a great time.

• Baller
@OB I'd certainly make the drive up there sometime to ski with you guys. I have considered Linda Giddens a few times but have never heard of anyone talk about her and her site seems VERY dated to point where it looks like she doesn't teach anymore.

• Baller_

Try Seth Stisher in Charleston. He is probably closer to you than April's or Jack's, he'll put together whatever skiing package you might want and he is in Charleston, with its incredible culture, scenery and restaurants. Plus Folly Beach is about a 20 minute drive from his site. Seth is a great coach, and you'll be in a relaxed, fun setting. Contact Seth at: http://www.h2oproshop.com/seth-stisher-training-center-charleston.html

If the palm guards aren't helping, try sanding down your callouses with a pumice stone. You can get one at the drug store. Keeping the callouses small is a key to healthy hands during ski season.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier Charleston is actually further than both I think. However, it might be the easiest and cheapest thing for me since I have a few friends that live in Charleston. I see Seth has a day of 3 sets/lessons for relatively cheap. I could probably do a day of skiing, a day off, and another day of lessons to get a good saturation of knowledge without practically killing myself.

• Baller
@waternut, Coble's, Jack's and Seth are all great choices. Seth also coaches by the set, so you could do 2 one day and 1 the next etc. Tape from the 1st set is the most important advice you have heard so far.

• Baller
@Waternut, 5 - 6 hours drive is completely worth it to attend a good ski school. I can only speak for Coble's, completely great place and great people. I have learned a ton there over the years and continue to go back 2 - 3 times a season. My wife and I will be there the last week of the season. If you have any questions specific to Coble's, I would be happy to answer them for you.

• Baller

Definitely go @Waternut! Book two sets for the first day, then take day two off. Then ski two sets per day for the rest of the week. Taking the second day off gives your body a huge chance to catch up before too much damage is done. I've played with taking the third day off instead, but found day two compounded the first day's body-wear too much.

Oh, and take your camera, pylon mount and journal. If you have a GoPro, put on the non-waterproof back so it can pick up your coaches comments between passes. Being able to review your coach's comments within the context of your skiing video really leverages your coaching investment.

• Baller
Depending how advanced you are, you may get just as much bang for your buck by coming to ski at Waterski Atlanta or driving up to Whitestone. There are lots of people, myself included, that love helping people get better....and are completely capable of doing so.

• Baller
@OB and @webbdawg99 I spend most of my time at 34mph trying to get through 22off and can occasionally knock a few out at 28off. Let me know if you're willing to have an extra skier one day. I'd be happy to drive up there for the day and hang out with everyone.