V Drive Question

dubs1013

Hi All,

I have been skiing all my life but just this year put a course in my lake and have been ripping it all year. I have an 04 Mastercraft 205V. I just completed my best for the summer at 31' off, but was wondering if this is tainted at all because it's a V drive and not a direct drive? As in, is it easier to complete the course because of the V drive and that the pole that is pushed further back in the boat?

Thanks,

Chris

• Baller

Did you mean 32 off? The V-drive probably makes the course more difficult to complete bc of a larger wake. The location of the pylon has no bearing other than different wake characterisitics at different line lengths. Does the boat have speed control? Which system? Thats the the million dollar question

Actually....the million dollar question is are you having fun and are you getting better???? THAT is all that matters!

Yes 31' off was a typo, meant 32' off. There is no speed control on the boat but the driver was confident he kept it at 32mph. I feel as if I can shed more off and go faster, but I am still getting used to a lot of the timing. Is 32' off considered average for a decent skier? I know the pros rip in the upper 30s and the world record is 41, but kind of was just hoping to see where I stand.

Yeah I can definitely imagine their is a huge difference. I'm 23 year old male, 6'1 about 170lbs. I'm in no way insinuating that I'm a pro or even close to one, just was thinking of possibly trying to go to a few friendly amateur competitions for fun.

• Baller

Keep in mind that as you speed the boat up, the wake will get flatter and be easier to cross. My advice would be to go back to 15 or 22 off and start speeding the boat up. Unfortunately, without a speed control system, it'll be hard for you to get a consistent pull. What part of the country are you in? If you're new to the sport and looking to get into it, there may be a baller on here that could help get you more involved, coach you, and get you behind a nice boat with Zero Off on it. But like I said before, if you're having fun and thats your goal.....nothing else really matters

And at your age, your top speed would be 36 mph in a tournament. It slows down to 34 when you turn 35 years old

@webbdawg99 & @KcSwerver, thanks for the advice. I am heading up to the lake for a 4 day weekend this Thursday and will definitely try to put some more rope on and speed the boat up. I am from Massachusetts but ski on Mousam Lake in Acton, Maine.

32 off behind a V-Drive is pretty bada$$. Hang around here long enough and you'll start to think if your average isn't into 38 or 39.5 you're nothing, but I've met skiers who have been in the course for decades and live on ski lakes and ski -15 30 mph. Ski what you think is fun.