Obscure rules Q: Can you opt-up during a runoff?

Than_Bogan

• Gold Member

And if you can, can you do so on the very first pass?

It's hard to imagine a situation where doing so makes sense, but I witnessed one where it might have deserved consideration.

With a strong tailwind off the dock, the first person in the run-off went out and ran the tailwind pass, and the headwind pass, and a few buoys on his 3rd run-off pass.

So now the guy on the dock knows he must run "pass #2" and get further in "pass #3." That pass #3 part would be easier in the headwind direction. And since the second guys knows the must run pass #2 to have a chance, he's risking less (than a usual opt-up situation) if he just goes off the dock at pass #2.

Legal??

• Gold Member

Thanks! That was actually what I thought, but many people I asked had the opposite instinct because they tell you what pass you must start at in a run-off.

@klindy Are you implying that the answer is different for E? (I can't think of when a run-off would happen in a class C, but I suppose I'm curious about the rules there, to.)

• Baller
Negative. Technically it's the same for both AWSA and IWWF (classes C-E-L-R). I believe it's still possible to elect a slower than max speed in an IWWF tournament and 'opt up' to a shorter rope length rather than bumping speed. Where AWSA requires the boat to be at max speed before you can shorten again. I can't think of a run off scenario where this would be a smart tactic but I believe it's possible under the current rules unless something's changed recently.