Here is "ALMOST" everything I know about the 2014 MasterCraft

Horton

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
In the ZX1, it allowed the engine to be placed further aft, making more room up front, and also allowing the fuel tank to be located in front of the engine, allowing more space in the stern. Performance wise, I don't know? I do know the ZX was pretty much second to none in hole shot and top speed.

• Baller
@swc5150. The relocation of the gas tank was the first goal. Think about how much 35 gallons of gasoline weighs and how that pushes the rear of the boat into the water. But when they relocated the tank, they had to slide the engine back....which wouldn't work with a direct drive. In comes the v-drive. The hole shot and "power" was due to the angle of the prop shaft. Bc it was a v-drive, the angle of the prop shaft was shallower than that of the direct drives, resulting in more direct thrust and power.

• Baller_
The center vdrive allowed the boat to jump to plane quicker with no bow rise because the prop was much closer to the center of the boat then the rear. Also better safety wise for the folks that get near the back o the boat while it's running. To me it made a lot of sense. I think it was a great idea for many reasons. I think if they had perfected the wake, other manufactures may have followed especially if it costs the same in the end. Still kinda hoping the new boat leaves out the hips. Just can't get used to them. Always been a fan of the low nose and low tail of a boat ever since the Supra ts6m was designed that way in the early 80s. Seems like every manufacturer took lines and design cues from that boat (first trunk, sleek lines, open bow, deep chines, deeper v up front) for the next two decades including current 197. Maybe this one will be that boat that design cues will be copied for decades to come. 30mn will tell the tail.

Thank you @Wish for the detailed info on the center Vdrive. After hearing your explanation I hope it does have it. I agree about the hips, but I like the windshield, took a while to grow on me, but its really functional, so....