Farewell to "my" original boat

• Baller

This is the boat I developed my early slalom course "skills" behind.

d7989dae72089010c52e50800fbaed.jpg

It was known as "The Big Boat" because it was 15' and we also had a 13' Whaler.

At one time, I ran the purple line behind this boat at full throttle (roughly 32 mph). I purposely don't call it 38 off, because it was attached to a bridal in the back, so in reality was probably about 34 off. Also, our course was rather narrow from lack of sub-buoys on a very very old accufloat -- my dad bought one of the earliest ones; in fact we used aluminum brackets and wooden arms for many years before the switch to PVC. When I made the move to a real ski boat, and had a chance to get accustomed, I found that my skill level equated to about 34/-15.

My parents owned this boat for 36 years, covering most of my life, but last week it was time for a new one. They bought a similar 2012 15' Whaler and my older daughter (not pictured) skied behind it and gave it a thumbs up for recreational skiing. Overall, it's a clearly improved boat. Always surprising when newer is actually better!

(Pictured are my younger daughter and older niece.)

I was tempted to tell the local dealer that he should pitch this used boat as "the boat that THE Than Bogan learned to ski behind." I would have cracked myself up, but I'm sure he would only have stared blankly, so instead I am foisting that joke off on you, the unsuspecting reader!

Farewell, Big Boat!

@Than-Bogan, I always loved the 13, & 15 classic try hull whalers. I wanted a 13 growing up as a kid on our bog lake, but I had to settle for a 10 foot sears king fisher with a sears 2hp. I would look at the whaler brochures and dream. Later I thought I would get a 13 for my kids growing up, but never did. I bet your 15 really moved with that 70 yawmmy. Thanks for sharing.

• Baller

Whalers are absolutely fantastic boats. LOVED growing up with these. Spent hundreds of hours fishing from the 13' and skied almost every day of summer vacation behind the 15'.

In a way it's a bummer that boats have become a lot more specialized. If I could afford and find the time to maintain 2 boats today, I'd have a ski boat and a bass boat, each of which is somewhat poorly suited to anything "off-task."