Too hot to ski ?

rodltg2

• Baller

40 water, 50 air - C! Maybe its a good thing my hip is hurt - otherwise I'd be out there skiing.

For you Luddites out there, 104F water, 122F air. That's 122 in the shade and no shade! Of course if you drive the lake a bit it stirs up the water to register less than 100F. But that first set down burns! I think my boat temp registers low actually.

Nearby Palm Springs gets warm but in Mecca we are below sea level with calmer winds. Oh, the Salton Sea adds some humidity into the mix just to make it a bit more challenging. How did we survive without AC those 10 years?

In the interest of honesty and full disclosure, I'm in San Diego for this heat wave. Air 80Fand if the water hits 70F I'll swim in the ocean tomorrow. About as hot as it gets here - no wonder our apartments are full of Zonies (really I love Arizona - it pays my bills especially when it gets hot).

Eric

• Baller

I was in the Phoenix area on June 26, 1990. Doing the survey work for a SL course at the cableski place there. Somewhat simplified: no boatgates needed! Anyway, it was an official 122 degrees that day, for hottest ever, and that still stands. Notable is that is 50 degees C. Back-back when at college in the depths of Winter, the morning announcer on the college radio said he read -40 on the station's thermometer. However, that isn't supported by any official records. May have been the day after the night before. Also notable is that -40 is -40 in both systems, F and C.

At the cableway, along with the heat, there was a bit of a breeze, maybe 15mph. About like standing in front of a bunch of hair dryers. Every hour or so, I would wade into the water, wearing shorts & t-shirt. The water wicked away so fast, my clothing was fully dry in just a few minutes. Right after getting out of the water, it even felt chilly for a short while, with the water evaporating so fast.

At another time, but still in the Phoenix area, at a Tour stop, I left a plastic jump metering arm on the shelf in the car's rear window. After a while, it turned into a flexible noodle. Oops. Of course, after the car sat in the sun for a while, when you got back into it, you couldn't touch anything without getting burned. I'm sure many other Southwest skiers have had that same experience.