HO EXO pro binding system question

6balls

• Baller

Ski buddy in Chicago called last night who skis Laurie's Quarry. Good athlete, strong, just entered 34 mph age. By season end last year running virtually all 28's, majority of 32's and getting down course at 35. Over-uses strength from old school but working on it.

He asked me if time for equipment upgrade and specifically ski only vs. ski plus bindings. He's on a 4 yr old HO Monza and uses HO EXO's. In skiing with him before I found his ski is light, but the binding system weighs a TON. They are the most comfortable for him that he's ever had. He wonders if the heavy bindings are a hindrance.

Get new ski and bindings (what type?) vs. get new ski and put the EXO's on it. I'm a rear toe guy so my binding set ups have always been light, and thus I'm unfamiliar with binding weight effect and with what might be lighter systems with similar comfort to his existing set up.

Thoughts appreciated, will get the thread to him and hopefully convert to a Baller after he sees the great info available from the membership of this site.

• Baller_
@6balls The Monza is a fine ski but after putting 4 years on it with the kind of skiing that you describe, I would get him on something new. RS1 or Strada would be a good transition. If he likes the EXOs, go with them but I have not seen many people riding the original EXO system. I have never agreed with the heavy binding hindrance. I have seen skiers with vests that weigh 10 pounds when wet worry about the weight of a Wiley on a ski.

• Baller
I skied on EXOs all last year. I've got no issue with the weight of the binding system. What I found was that it seemed to limit flexion of the rear ankle. Also, that adapter plate that he's having to use with the Monza does change the flex of the ski. If he wants that binding "feel" have him try Strada bindings.

Obviously I am not even close to a expert here, as I am learning everyday. From what I have gathered here, if he wanted to stick to HO the S2 or even the CoX SL are way ahead of even the Monza and both perform great at 34mph.

• Baller

Get an S2, A3, or the CoX SL and stick with you EXO Forms. That way you don't have to have an adapter plate. I love my Exo Forms on my S2. Most comfortable binding I've ever put my size 11 feet into.

Garn

• Baller

I skied the EXO forms for a while. They were very comfortable. However, the release system never seems to release for me no matter how light I made it. The other issue I had was the foot spacing. Without cutting the rear boot, you can't get your rear foot very close to your front at all.

In fairness though, the Reflex boot I have now with the thick liner is just as comfortable. My only complaint with the Reflex is I can't pull my foot out of the boot without the liner coming too. That's being nit picky though.