What tournament boat trick wake is the closest to a Ski Nautique 196

disland

• Baller
Dave - my son (3000 pts) practices behind the 196 and ski tournaments behind the Mastercraft. We haven't found that any of the boats are similar to the 196 but have not tricked behind the Centurion. We try to get some rides in behind the MC before bigger tournaments.

• Baller

Silly question. Many of the 196 SN boats were unskiable for tricks. The table was too rough for toes. Why would you want to emulate that?

OK, to be fair, some koolaid drinkers did trick behind 196s and not every 196 was unskiable (there was significant variation in the molds - none were great though). The wake's shape was actually pretty good so if you only did flips you might like the boat. The wake's shape was similar to the MC so transitioning to a MC was always easy.

Sorry about the bitterness but Correct Craft switched from a great hull to the 196 despite the trick wake problems and never really fixed the problem despite plenty of time. Tricks seemed to be a corporate afterthought (and maybe still are - the 200 is an OK trick boat but still not as good as a Malibu or Mastercraft). Skillful marketing and hype and a stubborn extended production run means that today there are too many of these horrible boats out there holding back the development of tricks. Wow, it appears I'm still pretty upset...

Eric

• Baller_
What year 196? 97-01? or 02-09? lots of gray in that poll! Want a Nautique that Tricks more like the MC and MAL you will have to look at the 96 and earlier Nautiques. In the Bubble back versions the trick wake was ok but not preferred as the wakes were Clean but small. 03-09 trick table was rough, the SN200 has the trick wakes and table that are a vast improvement over the previous model. Keep in mind you are trying mix apples with oranges in this poll as Mal and MC are closer to each other in overall wake profile and it now comes down to preference of wake style between MC/Mal and A Nautique. You want rounded wider wakes (Nautique), or crisp peaky type wakes(MC/Mal) ?

• Baller
Jody. The question was referring to late model 196, 06-09. The situation is many folks own the 196 and train behind it but of course cant ski behind one in most tournaments. so you have to pick something. Thanks for the input

• Baller
If the SN206 is like the 196 trick wake, then neither.. I have never tricked behind a 196. It took me a couple of sets to find the sweet spot on the table, but it works. Still like the 1994 Ski Nautique best for tricks. The Master Craft works well, except have trouble with the toe slide behind it sometimes.

• Baller

I like the shape of the SN200 wake and the table. The wake is a little soft for my taste, but then again I am heavy for a trick skier. I dropped 25 lbs over the winter so I hope to see a difference in my trick skiing.

• Baller
@disland Go mastercraft. Kevin gets to train behind both a 09 196CC and a 11 MC and says that he can not tell a huge differance between the two. Put about 50lbs in the SN when you train and if you have a hydro gate, use trick mode. His scores are about the same behind any of the big three. See you soon.