Mastercraft Predator Engine Problems

Glock

• Baller
I was out this weekend enjoying the first nice weekend in Oregon on my X7 with my 2 year old son as my first mate, and had to get towed back to the launch, BUMMER. Anyhow, we were on the water for several hours just cruising the river and stopping every so often to relax. Toward the end of the day, after a stop, the boat wouldn't start. I cranked just fine and had enough fuel. Any thoughts on why it might not be working? Could it be the fuel filter or fuel pump? I just thought it was weird that the boat was working fine and then just wouldn't start back up.

• Baller

Fuel pump you should atleast hear cycle when you turn the key to on (not start). If it doesn't buzz for a few seconds you won't have fuel pressure.

There are testers for fuel pressure as well, I don't own one, but I do the check to see if the plugs are wet test for giggles.

If you have a spare plug, it is easy to make a grounding lead so you can check for spark. I just hold it by the wire against a good ground (manifold) with insulated spark plug wire pliers, but you want to make sure it is grounded, and you should see a good spark.

• Baller
I would suspect the fuel pump. That is a fairly common problem with the MC. Mine went out on my 05 X7 at about 400 hrs. Turn key to on position without engaging starter and listen for buzzing sound at fuel tank. It only lasts for a few seconds even if pump is good. If pump is bad,only replace the pump which you can pick up at Napa auto. It's a fairly easy job . If its not the pump I would still get a replacement one to keep handy.They are only $100. Good luck