D3 ROCKERBLOCK

Horton

• Baller
@sixam675 Interesting concept, but if these clamps allow the ski to flex free of the rigid fin, I'd expect the fin to go out of adjustment regularly, and if they are tight enough to not move, then the fin would stiffen the tail as much as a fin block.

• Baller

@Wish - The upper exposed part of the leading and trailing edge of the fin is only slightly more than what occurs with the same fin setting in a conventional O'Brien fin block. In addition, there are no sharp or 90 degree edges with any of the components (it might look that way in the pics). I agree that there is a lot more "blade" exposed in the center section, but I would speculate that there are very few people who have been whacked by that part of their ski.

@SkiJay - The D3 reference to tail rocker is that the fin block will not change the pre-existing tail rocker of the ski, and it is also true for this design. With regard to this fin block, it has been in use for several years on several different skis and tried by different people in the industry. The fin settings have been totally stable.

@Horton - One of the industry people I refer to, above, is a common friend. Try it, you'll like it.

The reason I designed this fin block was not to address changes in fin rocker. (I have not seen a carbon fiber ski that will flex significantly in the last 8 inches.) I designed it to reduce the time necessary to make fin setting adjustments. I too had suffered the interminable length of time it took to make changes to fin settings with the conventionally designed fin block. So, I designed this one. It separates DFT from Depth and Length and, more importantly, minimizes the changes between Depth and Length when these settings are changed - therefore, fewer iterations. I was able to set up a ski, from scratch, in approximately 10 minutes with this fin block (and that includes mounting it to the ski blank) It could take less than 5 minutes to make a small adjustment.

But, all of this will be moved to another thread. This thread is about D3, so please hold any more comments until I get the other thread started. (Oh, and I'm not selling the fin blocks, I'm just going to offer the design if someone wants to replicate it.)

• Baller
@sixam675 Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the goal of your design. I thought it was specifically to allow the last eight inches of the ski to flex (which I'm certain it would without a fin and block stiffening it). You also addressed what I was wondering. Since the settings don't change, then the blocks clamp onto the fin tightly enough to turn the fin itself into a stressed member. I like it a lot: super light, DFT changes independent from depth changes (except for the taper of the ski tail's thickness) and very nicely fabricated. I would have adopted your setup in a second back when I was cursing the stupid fin block on my Elite!

• Baller

I just noticed on the Mapple 6 that it approaches having rocker over the last eight inches of the ski in another way. The fin block is straight, but there is a flat section molded into the top of the ski tail so the tail can have continuous rocker while the fin block is straight:

http://www.mappleskis.com/images/product/mapple-ski09.jpg

• Baller

I am still wanting to see what they are claiming.

I would think it has to be more than a curved base machined on the fin block for the exact reason pictured above, it seems way easier to modify one top sheet mold than to machine a curved surface on every box.

• Baller
@Wish - The patent pending will protect the person/company until the patent is approved. During the time a patent is approved there may be multiple changes to the way it is written, but the protection is still there. As far as I know, no one is able to copy it. (that is the extent of my knowledge on legaleese)

• Baller

I imagine the rocker is minor but I get it. You really have to move into the realm of aerodynamics but it's easier for people to grasp the concept in terms of snow skiing vs lift and drag.

A tail rocker effectively decreases surface area in the fore/aft direction but increases area in the up/down direction. In our world of skiing, this reduces drag while skiing which allows for a more consistent speed while also increasing lift which lowers your effective stall speed and gives you more time to get into position after a bad/hard turn at the ball. I'm spitballing here but I'd bet that the factory fin measurements are going to be different on this ski or at least an increase in fin surface area.

I've made a little sketch to help explain my thoughts. I know things are exaggerated and not to scale but it's just an explanation.

It seems to me that there is more than one way to skin a bangle tiger. If the pros determine the benefits of continuous tail rocker, d3 curved block is one way, A.M. flat indent is another way, a raised flat would be another way, a flat tail top, with the difference made up in the cross section would be another way. ( but that would require an up, or down hill waterfall ahead of the tail, and maybe mess up flex). A curved sliver plate adapter under the block would be another way. To force tail rocker just buy using a rocker plate would be almost impossible, and cause way too much hardware and ski stress in my opinion.