American Skier_ Elan

rodltg2

• Baller
I saw one person only once, but it looked pretty nice. Prior to that, the only American Skiers I saw looked like old MC's, so I wasn't even sure what I was looking at until I got close. I'm assuming the fact that one will never draw one in a tournament has a negative effect on a closed bow ski boat? That's a TBI fuel system in there right?

• Baller
If this the year/years Ben Favret was behind the company (and I think it is). I drove one for 5-10 skiers. As jdarwin said great boat to ski behind but a little difficult to drive straight. I don't remember having chine lock issues and we have some reasonably tight turn islands but if some people are mentioning that, I would pay attention. I thought it was a good boat. It may not be a great boat, but I think it's a good boat.

If it is an older Elan that was built when Ron Tanis was still involved with the company it will be a quality boat. He was the only builder that used bi-axial and tri-axial stiched cloth rather than woven rovings, so the boats were pretty advanced in that respect. They also had alot of unique features for their time. As others have said they have some of the best ski wakes of any boat ever built, as far as the chine locking issue the old boats had very small rudders and upgrading to a modern rudder would help keep that issue from occuring.

If the boat was built after lake 2002 the boat was built when Favret owned the buisness and quality took a huge hit in all areas of the manufaturing process.

If you're interested there is a dedicated forum for those boats and Ron Tanis the former owner/designer of the boats posts there on a regular basis.