Best long line slalom boat?

Bill22

• Baller

@joeprunc I knew Charlie Pigeon before his days of fame. Not well, but I did know him, one of the first times I skied in a coarse is with him. He was a pretty damn good Slalom skier, he was great at motocross. He was a very energetic, high energy person, good guy, integrity etc, the guy just came across as a winner to me. He was a head at MasterCraft, something like Director of Sales and Marketing and he worked for several of the Major ski boat companies. He was a Salesman for Centurion when I knew him.

Above all he was a Salesman. One of the best I've known. He could have built stringers out of anything and convinced me, you, and everyone else that it was the best. Once he had a boat that he was behind building and totally believed in it, there was no stopping him. Those Tige were nice boats, looking at your picture and what I've heard they had a great wake.

Ha! Now if we can just find Bill a 196 for 12k with an open Bow!!!

Hey @Bill22, I'm sure you have already seen this one; http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=21823

But, if not this Boat could fit your Needs and description (as listed at the beginning of the post...) Unfortunately, there are no pix. Not sure if it has an open or closed Bow... I actually looked into them a few yrs. back before I found the LXI @ a price that I could work with....

Ya know, if the sportster seems a bit small for Utility use, loaded down on the open water of a Public lake, a Malibu SunSetter LX might fill the Bill nicely. They are a bit harder to find though and I doubt there will be one in the price range... The wakes are tad bigger then some. But, it's a fairly tame wake for Slalom and can be a fairly great wake for the Boarders using a Wedge.

In fact, the Malibu "Wedge" is a super Cool feature for the All Purpose Boat. No farting around wasting time filling and draining Ballasts. -And your Boat is not cruising around with 1000+ lbs of water! Just unpin it, drop it down and then flip it back up when your done.

P.S. I Love my Open Bow. BUT, fyi on Public water, loaded down (especially when people are up front) if your not Really on your toes, you can get swamped fairly easily on busy week ends when @ idle speeds or circling around to p/u the fallen skier, etc... The Response Bow rides very Low when wgt'd down. :-[

• Baller

GREAT NEW!!

Yesterday I sold my old I/O with a Mercruiser 140hp. The guy is going to use it for fishing. Maybe now it will be easier for me to work on my slalom form (once I get that new slalom boat).

The next step to getting that boat will be to put in some overtime and save a some more $$.

• Baller
I had a 1995 Tige Slm2000. Great wake Long line throughout, no spray that I can remember. It burned in a fire. Went on to Nautique after (never looked back). The biggest problem was it was under powered-I think the rpms for 36mph was around 3900-4000. It also tracked on rails.

My hard wake 'detectors'- ankles, knees, hips and back tell me that of the boats I have skied behind at 15 and 22 off, from 28 to 34 mph, rank this way in wake size/softness... SN200; 1997-2000 SN 196; Malibu Sportster; 92-94 MC; Malibu LX. Many others seem fine if balanced properly too. Open bows have not really mattered. Installing showers, heaters and PP is not difficult even for me! Carb boats have run fine for me and the nice thing about them is a 'rebuild' costs about $30 in parts. EFI is great, but when it wont run you will probably not be limping back to the dock- and I have found skis make really crappy paddles...

Beware- there ARE some boats out there that have rightfully earned the moniker "Widowmaker". If you can, try before you buy!