Perfect Pass upgrade - mechanical (servo motor) to dbw stargazer / gps reciever

blacky1205

Calling All PP Gurus, I have recently purchased a malibu 98 response lx (Indmar monsoon) which has PP digital pro version 6.4 with single line display. It wasn't working due to siezed servo motor. I have ordered a new one & will fit it this weekend. I was also looking at upgrading to a 2009 Stargazer (with v8.0 upgrade) and a multiline display. The only apprehension i have is its a DBW system. This leads to 2 fundamental questions. firstly, is Stargazer compatible with the older digital pro pp systems ? secondly, is it possible to convert to BDW if im running a mechanical servo/throttle kit ? I have heard some mixed reports on this . Thanks, Simon

• Baller
There are plenty of people running Stargazer on older boats with servos. I am running it on an 02 Response and I upgraded from an older system. That said I don't know if you can take a DBW system and run it on a servo boat. I would call PP and ask them they are very helpful on the phone.

• Baller

@wish the processor boxes are different for DBW boats and Servo boats. I had a 2003 Malibu with PP and upgraded it to SG. It was an easy DIY project. I simply removed the old box where all the cables plugged in. Replaced it with a new box and plugged all the cables back in.

The new box was clearly stamped "Mechanical".

• Baller_
Was wondering about the display only. Currently have a single line but know of a DBW boat that went to ZO. Multiline DBW display taken out and unused. Can do a mod and locate it over the cup holder in my SN as seen on another thread (would like to see that pic again) . So would a DBW display work on a machanical boat ?.? Sorry, slight hijack of thread.

• Baller_
@Thager yep that's it!! Is that your creation? Love that! And it would be my first choice over a dash mount. Never use the silly cup holder anyway. So I know PVC was used for the structure but what's it rapped in?

thanks heaps for all this guys. So in summary, I have purchased a 2009 DBW stargazer module with multiline display & gps puck which is out of a 2008 LXI malibu response. If i buy the latest module from PP to upgrade my 6.4 v mechanical, will this be compatible with the multline display & pgs puck out of the DBW kit ? Ultimately this will save $500 for new gauge & gps puck !

• Baller

@blacky1205 Fix your PP. Forget Stargazer and get a working switch. At least the feel can be set up to feel like a tournament pull. Fancy display? It's the feel of the pull that matters.

@Thager My boat needs a chilled cupholder more than than a fancy display. Of course a big letter display might be quite useful for my aging eyes.

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski Eric, you just like drilling holes in your boat! I elected not to drill any holes. Couldn't get any ZO displays to fit the smaller old PP hole so I had to get creative. ZO let's me drive with one hand and hold a cool one with the other anyway!