Fair Request?

rodltg2

• Baller
I have my 93 ski boat for sale so I can upgrade. I have two guys interested in buying it together. They want to come check out the boat, do a lake test and both them and a girlfriend ski it. Normally I would not have an issue with it in the summer on a weekend where I cold make a day of it and catch a set myself. However they want to do it during the week and now. If I really want to sell the boat I guess I should do it . To get my clean dry boat out of storage and take 3 people skiing would take a good part of the day. I would have to take a day off of work and my boat would get really dirty with all the mud thats out now. Not mention there is no way Im skiing in right now, I dont do the cold! If I were selling a $30k+ boat I could justify it, but at $7500 I don't think I'm going to offer it up. What do you guys think?

• Baller
salesman speak... cash in the bank is good for winter especially if you want to sell it, the buyer may not be around in summer, qualify them though and say... "as long as the boat does what its supposed to do and is in the stated condition you will buy it and hand over the cash at the end of the ski"... at least youll know if they are serious and thne its their job to clean it afterwards. in my experience people who want to test boats in adverse conditions are usually pretty keen to part with the cash

I wouldnt personally put up $500 even if I was 100% interested, it would make me think you are trying to angle me or something? I am not trying to cover any costs by suggesting the $50 just weed out the tire kickers.

Alternately I would say no? Maybe they will take it anyways

• Baller_

OK?!?!? How do you "qualify" a buyer? How they sound on the phone? What they drive? What they look like?

I have Been doing this for a long time, If they are really interested then green is king!

I learned a long time ago that just because a potential buyer drives a nice new vehicle and dresses with nice clothes chances are they cant pay their next "nice" car payment and have no business wasting my time!

If you are up front and honest with what you have to sell and your potential understands that upfront then the Green Will appear and we go on a test ride! Otherwise walk away, Direct them them to the nearest bus stop. With a friendly smile!

• Baller
Seeing as how it's winter and you have to "unpack" the thing, I would vote for something greater than $50 also. I would say, "You give me $200 and we'll take it out. If you like it, the $200 is applied to the purchase price. If not, I keep it." $50 or $100 might work if they would do it on a weekend, but not if you have to take off work. I also agree with doing the paperwork in the parking lot and leaving the boat and trailer with them if they make the purchase. I actually did this as a buyer with no problem.

• Baller
I'm fairly sure they are serious. I have exchanged a few phone calls and emails. My other problem is that our ski lake is closed for the season. I believe after November 30, no more sking till March. The local public lake has a 5 mile speed limit due to low water. Other option is river, but I assume full of debris from the recent storms. Can't they just read the WS review while I run it on the fake a lake? Same thing right! LOL

• Baller
If I were buying a boat, I'd like to test it with myself skiing and a familiar driver driving (preferrably a ski partner), then I'd like to swap and pull my buddy. If I was serious about buying your boat, I'd have no problem putting down a deposit to be applied to the purchase of the boat. $250 seems reasonable with up to half being refundable...just my .02

• Baller_
@rodltg - I'm with Jody, don't let them waste your time, and if your boat is like you've described it, run it on the fake a lake for them and call it good. Give them a few personal references so they can check out that you're not selling them a POS, they can call a few people who've skied behind your boat this past summer/fall

• Baller

@rodltg2, you've got SG and a killer wake...what are you upgrading to? I love your boat, but the wife tells me I have too many boats (she says I have 3...I say one doesn't count).

If they want to ski in the cold they are probably serious. If I was looking for my first inboard...you would already be shipping that my way.

I'd never consider buying a boat without getting it in the water. On the hose is better than nothing, but not enough. There could be any number of issues such as a slightly bent shaft, or hole hidden by a bunk leaking at a decent rate. When making a purchase this expensive, I'm not willing to chance it. As a seller, I like the $50 dollar idea. Just enough to show that they're serious without scaring them off. As a buyer, I would say if you don't want to show it now, don't list it now. The lake being shut down just makes the entire thing a little more of a pain for both of you. Good luck with the sale.

• Baller

I have to say, I wish I would have taken @Jody_Seal 's advice when I was selling my go-fast boat. I had two people who said all the right things and looked the part and they were convinced they were going to buy the boat, but they needed to see the boat in the water and how it handled at 80 plus mph. I obliged, being drawn into their schtick, and when I showed up at the lake, one of them brought their entire family, and after the ride, you have never seen someone leave so fast. The other time, they started making lame-ass excused about money, etc. blah blah blah. All they wanted was a ride, and pulling my boat at 90 mph, probably burned through a couple hundred dollars each time, and not one penny was given to me by either of them.

Ended up selling it to an electrician who drove a 10 year old Dodge truck. Took it to his mechanic, plopped down cash, and the deal was done.

When someone now tells me something that I want to hear, or is trying to paint this awesome picture, but they don't back it up, they are selling you the dream, or as I like to call it, "mental masturbation" Chances are they are full of crap, but if they are willing to put down cash, that is what speaks to me now.

• Baller

Did they say why they can't go on the weekend? I understand a scammer possibly wanting to take a free joy ride but in the middle of winter? A casual skier wouldn't want a joy ride in the winter and I can't see a serious skier wanting to burn a bridge by taking a joy ride.

The guy I bought my boat from offered to have myself or him ski behind it. I refused bc I could see/feel the wake and engine were massively better than anything I'd skied behind in the past. When I sold my last slalom ski, I offered to let the guy use it behind my boat but he also refused. If bought either now, I'd want to test it out for sure...

Everyone has missed the critical question. Is the girlfriend who wants to get into the cold water hot?

I wouldn't buy a boat without test driving it. And I definitely skied my current boat and gave it a long test drive before buying it (in September).

That said, is it a 93 Pro Star? If so, see if they will let you run it on a hose or let them send a mechanic over to give it a clean bill of health. Sure, the buyers might not be around in the spring. But a 93 Pro Star won't be around for long if its in good shape. Anyone who knows will know that that boat's wake is pretty much beyond reproach. Still, they said that about the TSC SN and, frankly, when I test skied it, I didn't love it compared to other boats. Once I got used to it, I wondered what I was smoking though.

• Baller_
We sold our 08 196 to a guy from Ms and bought an 09 from @T8 in Tn. We drove ours down and dropped it off and hauled our 09 home. No test rides. Worked out great for all of us. If I were buying from someone close by, I would drive it unless it was a promo that I have skied behind or driven in a tourney.

When I sold my old MC, there was no test drive because I was delivering from Tyler to St. Louis. Boat was paid for before it left the driveway. I offered a test drive if he wanted to come down and pick it up. But I wasn't opening any doors for negotiations 1,500 miles form home. I started it on the hose before I left to make sure it ran.

He had a really hard time starting it when he got it home. He called me and it turned out he wasn't giving the Perfect Pass servo motor enough time to wind tight after he gave the throttle a good couple of pumps.

• Baller
In 2007 I bought my boat from Florida (I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and put $1000.00 down subject to a test drive. If a buyer is serious they should have no problem doing this, it all comes down to the proper paperwork to keep both sides happy.

"Do Better..."

I do this all the time. They dont know what they want and they want you to waste your precious time and energy for them to be even MORE undecided after a SINGLE pull behind an UNFAMILIAR boat. Unless you are hard up, wait until someone who has a better understanding of what they want, what you have and can meet at some fiscal agreement AND THEN let them do a check ride.

When people ask if they can test ride my bikes, I say sure, you buy it, you go ride it for twenty minutes, you dont like it, bring it back unscathed and I will hand you your money back. Most dont even bother, my stuff is high and tight, just forewarning you, lots of flakey, indecisive people who wont think twice about wasting your time and money.

• Baller
I purchased 2 late model 196's with no test drive, however they were from a dealership, so I think that's completely different. I also bought a '91 Prostar from a private party without a test drive, as the water was 12" solid at the time. We fired it up on a fake a lake, and that was good enough for me. I knew exactly what I was getting, so I wasn't concerned about it. If they need to test ski it, they don't know what you have, and hence would they really know if it skied well? I can't think of a boat built after '86 that I don't have somewhat of an idea how it'll ski. Of course, some people just get weird about a boats wake. We had a really nice guy buy our '07 196, and he ran it through every rope length, just to be sure it measured up to his old Bu. I just smiled and went along with it:)

• Baller

@sdnah2oskier - I'm the same with motorcycles - too much risk of theft, drive offs, and dropped bikes. When I buy bikes cash in hand I want the title on the table. Before cash goes hand to hand I want to see it clear and in the name of the guy I'm talking to (ID presented).

Boats you have the benefits of riding along -

$1000 is a down payment not a deposit. $50 is too cheap. $100-200 seems right, after all you winterized it and put it away. Going through all that work is time, money and effort.

One of you mentioned that they are even more undecided after they go for a ride on an unfamiliar boat. Although the word "empathy" wasn't said, it was implied. Not only are you parting with $7500, you're also taking on a headache if things go wrong. Just because I like the boat now in December doesn't mean I may like it later, and how can I be so sure that the boat wont have problems? Im sure boat is well maintained, but the fact is its 20 years old. What if the hull cracks? The interior is rotten? Engine problems? These are all things I've witnessed before on our family's boat. Losing $7500 is bad but being reminded of it every day is worse. I once bought a leather jacket for $300. I thought it was the style i liked. It looked ok and everything, but sure enough a week later I didnt like shinier leather, it felt a little small, and it wasnt EXACTLY what I wanted and sure enough I couldnt stand to look at it so I threw it away. Further, my family buys used cars and we've usually done very well, sure enough our confidence in our ability to buy and not looking hard at the car caused us to buy it. A week later no one liked driving the car, simply because we knew we'd been had.

Generally I research the hell out of anything expensive I buy. If I haven't researched it then I'm just as shifty as these potential buyers, even after an anologous "test ride." I dont buy something unless I'm comfortable with buying it or am willing to deal with the financial repercussions if everything falls apart.

When there was an Elite for sale last year for $350 I passed because the description was short. I figured, how can a ski thats normaly priced $900 be so cheap? Something must be wrong. Sure enough someone here said it was skidawgs old ski and could vouch for it. I lost out on my chance.

Here's a tip from left field: Don't trade a boat for money. Trade your personalities in the process. Spend plenty of time conversing. Trade WHY you ski. Trade WHY you are selling this boat and trade WHY you bought it in the first place. Explain the why the wake is the shape it is. If its not up to snuff with modern boats big deal, its from 93, compare it to boats at the time. If this guy and his girl are skiing in the winter then the must be serious, or they just want a christmas pull. Make the guy comfortable with trading his money for your boat with you and that should iron out any indecision.

Watch all of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Tw0PGcyN0

• Baller

Bought my '00 196 w/out driving it. Friend had a '97 w/same motor (gt40) so I knew what I was getting into for wake/performance. 84 hours and appearance consistent with that amount of wear (like perfect).

I would buy ballers promo site unseen if it came to that.

I had my 2001 SN shipped from Cali without driving it. A few guys here said it ran good so I figured if some guys on the internet said it then it must be true. The best part is trying to explain the transaction to other guys at the club. They kind of shut up about it after I give them a pull.

• Supporting Member
What I would suggest is to have the buyer look at the boat run it on land, come to terms on the price and get a deposit. The last condition would be a water test, and a cashier's check in the parking lot. You could have an amount of nonrefundable deposit.

• Baller
I'm struggling w this too. Kinda hesitant to buy w/ out a test ride. Boat is immaculate in pictures. I can ask to run in the driveway, but I'm not sure it covers all the bases. It'd probably keep me sleep deprived until spring.

• Baller
@rodltg2 - Hey Rod - are these folks semi-local? If so (or even if not) I'd tell them they can test drive/ski it in March with the caveat that you haven't sold it to another buyer that was comfortable without a test drive or a fake-a-lake demo. I can vouch for you that your boat is in great condition and pulls great after pulling you last summer. Good luck man!