Trivia -who was the first man to jump 180 ft

Horton

• Baller

Wayne, at the 1975 Masters in July, increasing the WR he already had at 169', also at the Masters, in 1972. Not listed as a WR on the IWWF site, Wayne is credited a month earlier in 1975 with a 172' AWSA record at the Horton Lake Invitational. Don't know why that didn't go through as a WR.

At the 1975 Marine World jump tournament in June, there was some concern about what to do if Wayne set a potential WR, since the event used the 5 1/2 ramp height, not 6 ft. Think that he came close, and also stomped the competition.

Wayne's 180' was almost enough to get him invited to the 1979 Worlds (Toronto) as Record Holder, but John Mondor went 187' earlier that year at the Mercruiser in Texas, to take that spot.

• Administrators

@Edbrazil You are a crazy encyclopedia of waters skiing.

I did not think anyone outside my family knew that Wayne broke the record at our lake - we always assumed it was not made official because he went on to go 180 soon after. I was pretty small so I do not remember but Wayne skied there the summer leading up to breaking the record. It was a pretty big time for my older brothers.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

For those of you interested in looking up records trivia from the Olde Daze, here is a link via the AWSA Southern Region for National Records:

A great load of research by longtime official Jeff Clark. Still being edited and updated.

All sorts of strange interesting stuff there. Note that in jumping, there is only one division that has kept essentially the same standards all along: Open Men (earlier just was Men).

How long ago did I start skiing? Ans: Before the Mens jump record was 100 ft. That was when we first had to shoo the dinosaurs away from the dock before skiing.

• Administrators
@Edbrazil seems to me like the rule book has changed a lot since I stopped jumping in 93. Ramp height and boat speed look the same but are not.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@ZeusKing22 nope. Grimditch broke the record at 172. That was never ratified because a week or two later he set the record at 180. 6 years later Mondor then set the record at 187.

You grandpa is a huge bad ass but he was not the first to 180

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I'm with @ZeusKing22. I heard a a similar story just a week or two ago from his former neighbor and "it was John Mondor, the guy who broke 180ft". And embarrassingly I thought to myself who was John Mondor and had to look it up. But then again, if you're talking jump, you're talking Greek to me.

• Administrators
Unfortunately you have to convert that records table for meters to feet. The globalist metric conspiracy continues to vex Imperial countries

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

If memory serves (don't be afraid to correct the ole geezer) Wayne did hold the record for several years at 180. So a big jump tourney in 1977(?) was held in Dallas at Bachman Lake and tons of folks were there, many of them sporting Tshirts with "181" on the back. I recall it was Yamaha Outboards in MasterCraft boats as the towboat and everyone was stoked because outboards provided a quicker throttle response, therefore more whip.

We went both Saturday and Sunday with no record until John Mondor was up as the last skier of the tourney, #1 seed from Sat. His final jump was a killer and we all knew it the instant he popped it, but were totally floored he had gone 187! Quite a day for a really nice guy, but now the race was on to see who could be the first to jump 200.

• Baller
@lhoover I don't think the Yamaha Outboards on MasterCrafts came out until late 80's, early 90's. I recall them using them on the Pro Tour for the jumping event. But as mentioned earlier in the thread @Edbrazil mentioned John Mondor jumped behind an outboard ski boat, more than likely a Hydrodyne.