Camaro Black Tec 2.0 and Impact Vest Review

Horton

• Baller
I think the biggest problem many skiers have with their wetsuits is they buy too big. I have a Psycho II and love it but it is thinner, smaller, tighter and warmer than any other suits I have had. Modern materials essentially have allowed a modern wetsuit to act like a much thicker drysuit with insane flexibility.

• Baller

Two big things with wetsuits is evaporative cooling and the water flushing in when you jump in. Evaporative cooling is worse with waterskiing because higher speeds make it worse. With my spring shorty if it low humidity it can be worse than no wetsuit at all. The smooth skin or coated wetsuits almost eliminates the evaporative cooling.

2 mm in 55F water is awesome. My standard wetsuit is twice that thick and it would be a little cold at that temp.

• Baller
@davemac the Camaro Impact vest floats you great without a wetsuit. I really like mine. The neoprene vest I have just barely floats me. With the impact I can sit in the water all day very comfortably, no sense of sinking and having to hold my head up. Used it most of last season and no problems with it.

@buski

I use the .05 in the low 70's and mid 60's, the 1.0 open cell in the low 60's then the 2.0 in the 50's.

If the sun is out and the air is warmer all this can change since these suits are great for radiating heat from the sun. I can ski in the low 60's easily with the .5mm if the suns warm and the wind chill is not a factor.

Also, these are all slick skin and shed water, so wind chill is less an issue.

I had a Aquasphere .5 that appears to use the same tech of the Camaro that I saw in Fla. The POS Aquasphere lasted less than two seasons. I'm very hesitant to drop more cash on the more expensive Comaro and get the same results.

I am in the market for a new vest when I'm on a public lake. I need a lot more floatation than my Eagle provides.

• Baller

So far the Camaro vest has been good for me. The zipper is not as large as the eagle but I've not problem with it. I've had several wipe outs and its held up.

I was told the smooth skin wetsuits you had to be a little more careful with, make sure you don't dig your finger nails into it as you put it on, etc. Thinking this one is a smooth skin suit.

@countymountie

All thin suits are fairly delicate due to the thickness and the new highly flexible rubber. These thin, slick skin suits have the fabric on one side only, so you do have to be more careful with them. I have older suits from O'Neill that are bullet proof, but they are thick, stiff and adversely affect my skiing. The suits that have fabric on both sided are more durable, but hold water. The newer surf suits use a more flexible rubber these days, but still thick and not the best choice for waterskiing.

• Baller_
The triathalon suite I purchased for my daughter has the crazy stretch smooth skin on the outside and the cloth on the inside. There's videos on YouTube showing the process for putting on a more delicate suit. Also several videos regarding the repair of finger tares from pulling to hard. Very very common in the triatholans as its how fast you pull off the suit (or on) that matters.

• Baller

Placing my order for the 2013 Camaro BlackTec line and I ran across these 2 new items in their line. Both things desgined to solve problems waterskiers constantly are bothered by...slalom shorts that bucket and shin guards that never stay in place. Not sure how either will work out but, wanted the ballers to get the first views! Both cool ideas, I am going to bring in...we'll see how they work!

www.robbysskishop.com

• Baller
Not to do with the Black tech, but if its anything like the titanium 2.0 I highly recommend it. Went for a set yesterday in the 2mm titanium, water 41 and air 45. My body was comfortably warm and super flexible. These suits are great. Cant say the same for my hands though :)