Waterskiing Saved My Life

Brady

• Baller

As Thanksgiving is approaching and the huge meals and the pumpkin pie etc, is awaiting each of us, I need to say how grateful I am for this sport and for each of you on this forum! This sport has literally saved my life, and being a part of BoS to me is the icing on the cake. Let me explain.

My playing weight in college was around 245, and being 6 foot 7, I was consuming enormous amounts of calories daily-10,000 plus. After I finished playing football, I continued to eat like a pig for years and years, but I didn't gain a ton of weight, or rather, I didn't notice myself creeping up in size. I had and still have a great metabolism, but not for how much I was eating. I was golfing a lot, and quite frankly, that didn't take an incredible physique to master that sport. And then for years I put blinders on lived the dream and lived in denial about my weight.

Growing up skiing on a semi weekly basis, I always loved this and had a passion for it, but with life and kids and career kicking in, I simply got away from it until a buddy asked if I wanted to go ski. I eagerly accepted and the anticipation of skiing again was incredible. When it was my turn, I jumped in the water to go. Time after time, the boat would go and I couldn't hang on. I am very strong and I was hanging on with all my might, to no avail. One time I even snapped a rope in half! Even not being able to get up, that desire and remembrance of how much I loved this sport came flooding into my body again, and I was hooked.

I got home and jumped on the scale for the first time in 18 years.....345 pounds! I was devastated and flabbergasted at the same time and then my eyes were opened...Doug Brady was fat!

I immediately started eating better and working out, and I started going skiing. I refused to drop a ski, and I can't tell you how many times I jumped in that water praying that today was the day I would get up. It finally happened a year later. I was down to around 300 pounds, and I got up and did 4 turns, was exhausted, yet exhilarated beyond belief.

Then the damn buoys came into my world. I realized an entirely new aspect to skiing and I have continued with my quest ever since. I am now at 255, and on my way to 225, and I thank God daily that this desire to excel in slalom skiing has been instilled in my heart.

So, as I am looking at the meals this week, the fat, the pie, the turkey, I will be thinking one thing. This food could never compete with the thrill and exhilaration of turning just one more ball. Nothing will stand in my way of achieving my goals in this new arena. I am driven, I am focused, and most importantly I am thankful for such an incredible sport to help me in achieving a healthier and happier and more balanced life.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you, and I look forward to shredding the balls with each of you for many years to come.

• Baller
Awesome story Brady. I think skiing is like that to a lot of us. One of the comments that people(yes, women thank you :) ) who have come to tournaments for the first time have made is that everyone, even the bigger guys, are in really good shape. I know I dropped 22lbs 2 years ago. And most people would call me thin to start with.

• Baller

Hey Doug that's great. I got back into skiing so I would have a reason to stay in shape. I was having health problems back a few years ago due to over weight, over stress, poor diet, etc. I workout through high school and college and was a solid 195lbs. Over the years I had gotten maybe 20 lbs heavier but when I started loosing weight I got down about 165lb. I could believe how much muscle mass I had lost over the years. I'm now back to 190ish but its muscle not fat.

I can honestly say if I hadn't changed my lifestyle I don't think I would have much a quality of life right now. I so thankful for every day now!

• Baller

Awesome story, Brady. I can certainly relate to it. 80 lbs down now, gym and nutrition part of my life, and all triggered by hopping on a ski after 12 years and remembering that thrill again.

If you make your way to upstate South Carolina, I would love to rip it up with you.

• Baller

I am Thankful for many things.....Faith, Family, Friends, and BOS! Hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving! Always has been my favorite time of the year!

@Brady - thanks for sharing. Funny how a simple request like going skiing can change your whole life!!

• Baller
Great story Brady. Last winter I dropped from 242 to 215 and it made a big difference on my skiing. I started running 32 off consistently and pushed my tournament PB from 3@32 off to 3.5@35 off which I did twice. I am looking to get under 200lbs this winter and see how that helps.

• Baller
Amazing story, skiing is an incredible sport that draws us in and doesn't let go with such great mental benefits (being on the water at sunrise makes me whole) and physically. To stay in shape/reduce the pain of aging, years ago I start to train for 1/2 marathons and been a great way to get through the winter. But as skiing now consumes me, I find my mind wandering while I run or at the gym about being on the lake and it provides such a motivation! 30 years of free skiing and only recently hit the course and working towards 30 more...

• Baller

I can provide some inspiration that went the other way....

At 195 I was deep 38, running it once in practice, and at 260, I struggle to run 32 off and feel totally exhausted after 4 or 5 passes.... I use to start at 32 off on my second round.

Just imagine strapping on a 65 pound life jacket!!

So when you want that extra piece of pumpkin pie, or extra scoop of mashed potatoes, just think of me.....

• Baller
Wanted to say thanks for all your incredible stories you have shared in this thread. It goes to prove what incredible people you are and what an incredible site this is. Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and your families, and a special thanks again to @Horton for putting this forum together for all of us. We all have so very much to be grateful for!!!

• Baller

On the cover page there's a video about 3 down that is called " lose the fat -- go ski". Also, if you go to you tube and find Keown films' page, search for "water skiing saved my life".

Before I stopped competing in the early nineties, my tournament PB was 2@32. This year I got 2@38 in a tournament, with 4@38 my best in practice. Next year, I plan on running 38. I never imagined that would be possible.

• Baller
@JohnCox. That is so awesome and so eerie. It seems exactly like what I am trying to accomplish, although I never skied the course growing up. There are so many benefits to this sport, it amazes me! I will never quit and I am looking forward to the day I am pulling 38.

Now that its been a few years since I lost all my weight people make the comment all the time that they are amazed I have kept the lbs off. Not only was skiing and my overall poor health the driving factor to make me loose the weight but I am still working out and keeping the weight off because of this sport.

Nothing has ever driven me like these six orange balls we all chase. I give thanks today for the ability to participate in this sport. It truly is a privilege and way of life for me now.

• Baller
Way to go Sully! I am working on taking off 25 lbs which have slowly crept up on me the last couple of years. When I went to the Midwest Regionals for the first time and saw all my competition in slalom and tricks, and when I got on the scale a month ago it was a real wakeup call for me. I dropped 7 pounds in November. The only changes I made was cutting out fast food completely(did not do very much of that), canned foods, sweets, and cut back on red meat to once a week(1-2 times before). I did more weight training last winter, and ended up bulking up(3-4) times a week. Now I do 4 different circuits, but only two each week. The rest of the week I do cardio. The second half of winter I will cut back to 1 day of weight training per week, and do cardio the rest of the time. I was struggling with wake 360s while I was trick skiing. Time to get lighter and leaner.