S2 66.5 vs. 67.5

buski

I got on a used 66.5 S2 this season. I was about 170 or so this summer so it's probably about the right size, but I was skiing 28 &30mph still. I made great progress this year so I can't really complain but I'd say I never found tremendous consistency, at the peak my 28mph passes were maybe 3/6 or 4/6 and 30mph passes less since I was just learning them. (first season in the course).

I like the ski and it was much better than what I was on, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try picking up a 67.5 in the off season when things are a bit cheaper, and then just sell whichever one I don't keep. I hope to get up to 32mph at least next season but before that I really want to be much more consistent at the slower speeds. It was probably mostly technique related but I seemed to have trouble keeping speed up so the ski would finish the turn, and a lot of failed passes ended with a big hit after a turn and breaking.

170 is a bit light for me and I might be closer to 175-180 next year depending on how the off season goes. Do you think the 67.5 would be better but still be not a problem when I get up to 34? Or with another season under my belt will it not be a big enough difference to worry about? Also I'm kind of only considering an S2 so it doesn't look like I got another ski if you know what I mean :)

Thanks. I'm not looking to specifically but I only got that low (or a bit under) after I caught a bug in the spring and lost like 10 lbs. Maintained it for a bit but will probably creep back to a more steady state of 175ish (I'm pretty tall). I'll probably just stick with the 66.5 I don't think that was really holding me back as I've got a lot to work on.

• Baller

So here's a thought. While weight wise you're solidly in the window for the 66.5, you are fairly tall. Add to that the slower speed and you might find the 67.5 is more stable. Your body is a lever arm. At the same weight, the taller you are the more tip and tail pressure you will put on the ski if you move forward and back. Now, that said I don't know that I'd change. You more than likely feel as if you're losing speed and stability because you let your hands away from the core as the ski is transitioning from the cutting edge to the turning edge. When you do this, the ski falls behind the path of the handle, slows down, takes a path narrower than the path of the handle, and the result is what you are experiencing. Plus, it probably makes you want to move your upper body forward, leaving your hips behind. So work on keeping those elbows to your vest and handle low by your belly button all the way out to the buoy line. I bet you find that will improve the feel of the ski.

• Baller

I am 180lbs and just got the 67.5" and it feels fine.

My last 2 skis were a 67.5" A1 and a 68" Monza and I have ran 28 off at 34mph on both of them, I always seem to be at the top end of skis weight wise so have always opted for the bigger ski.

I am 6'3", 190 (down from 225), and because of my beginner course running at slower speeds I only considered the 67.5. I ski with 3 people with s2's. brian, 6'0, 185, beginner course, 67.5. Mark, 6'0' 185' expert, 67.5 ( he liked the 66.5 a little better, but is my age, and has a bad back, and decided to go with the 67.5). Kevin, 6'1", 195, beginner, 67.5. But buski, you are lighter, younger, and you already have a 66.5, and will undoubtedly improve on it.