Old guy needs new ski

Dale

Hi there. I've been a recreational skier for about 40 years but have only skied a handful of times in the last 5 years. We've moved to a place where we can ski all year round and have a fantastic club and dedicated lake so as a family we are going skiing 2 or 3 times a month. It's great watching the kids noticeably get better each time. Thing is for me I've gotten bigger and slower and damned if I can get out of the water on my Connelly RS2. Just can't hang on long enough to get myself up and out. I used the clubs Connelly FX Graphite and that worked much better so I would like to get something very similar. They change the model names all the time though and it's hard finding all the dimensions to compare. So tell me if I'm on the right track here--I'm looking for a shaped ski and the Connelly Shortline is the current model that is as close as possible to the older FX? I don't want one of those Big Daddy things. If my old friends saw that it wouldn't be worth continuing in the sport! Thanks a bunch,

Dale

• Baller

@Dale. First, let me welcome you to this awesome site. We like all skiers...old, young, fat, thing, experienced, newbies, girls, guys, all of the above. Being a big guy myself(6 foot 7 and 255), I feel I can give you some good advice on finding the right ski to get up with. Have you looked at a triumph? I know HO makes some good skis for big dudes, and you can still run the course with a triumph--won't be embarrassing to you around your buddies. I would look at a 71 inch and I would also purchase some clinchers. They make all the difference in being able to hang on when you have a few extra pounds. I think the triumph is about the biggest slalom ski that skis well and probably the easiest to get up on.

The other thing I would suggest is to have your driver feather the throttle as you come up out of the water. A little patience on the drag saves lots of heartache at not being able to get up.

I look forward to hearing about your progress and again, welcome to the site and have some great fun skiing.

I second what Brady said. Make sure that you get the 2012/2013 triumph. It is as easy as the bigger shaped skis to get up on, and has a tremendous performance range. When you deep water start, try this. Tell the boat driver that you want a medium-soft, progressive get up. Relax every muscle in your body except your hand muscles. When the boat starts the pull, ball up and let the boat bring your knees up to your chest. Breath out, half way close your eyes, and let the boat pull you forward a little. Gradually put a little more pressure on your foreword foot. It's almost an exercise in relaxation.

• Baller

Also, if you are just plopping around, don't laugh, but Obrien Amigos (combo) are very wide and my daughter ran the course on a single Jr Amigo, which are a shorter version of the adult Amigo, when she was little. It carved pretty well for combo slalom, and the things are really wide and easy to pop up on....

If you are more advanced, look at skis like the Triumph.

Thanks a lot for the help, it's exactly what I needed. Now I just have to work through the issue of not being in North America. Malaysia is an awesome place to ski but poorly serviced for retail. I'm working on somehow getting a 69" HO Triumph to my door. I'll post with an update *when* I get it.

• Baller
@Dale, be very careful about getting a triumph and hanging out on this site. The disease you will catch has no known cure and is terminal....you will be here on this site and you will be chasing balls til death! You have been warned!!

I'm 6'3" and holding steady at about 220 so I was thinking a 69" would be best. I have a Stoker boot on my current ski so I'll just swap that if the holes line up...Talked to the boss at the lake about getting a ski in and he doesn't see a problem getting one which is good news. Thanks again.

• Baller

220! What the hell @Dale....you are skinny!!

"I've gotten bigger and slower and damned if I can get out of the water on my Connelly RS2"

Here I am feeling sorry for you thinking you were are lard ass like me!!! My first up one year ago....pushing 295! THAT is bigger and slower.....you are like a finely tuned porsche.... so, you have no more excuses for not getting up brudda!!! And living in Malaysia you are bound to get skinnier as well. :)

• Baller
@Dale given that you are a recreational skier I would go with the 69" and have fun with it. At 215 I had no problem getting out of the water and skiing on a 67.5" S2 and at 240 skied a 68.75" A1 but I do drag my rear foot which makes it easier to get up.

Thanks all again, it's been a giant help AND the first time I've been called skinny since high my early 20's! Since I don't have the luxury of trying out skis other than the 67" FX at the club the info here has been invaluable. Just tell me I don't need to worry about buying the 69 Triumph and not getting out of the water if I can get up easily with the 67" FX.

I haven't dragged my back foot since before I went with a double boot which I don't have anymore so that's an option too. The usual spot we used to go to we'd always do dock starts. Tried it after a couple years off once and popped a tendon so that's just a memory now.

Just thankful that I can still ski at 52 with my kids because there's lots of guys this age who can't anymore for one reason or another.

Finally got my hands on the 2013 HO Triumph and just came back from the first two skis. Awesome! Thanks a lot for the great advice on this forum. The ski makes the water feel like velvet. So smooth. I popped out of the water very easily and haven't done that many turns in a row in a while. Anyway, thanks again and now I look forward to taking advantage of the Malaysian weather and going skiing much more.