Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Baller Needs Help To Get Off Back Foot

lhoover

• Baller

@lhoover it all starts in your pull out and glide. Get on your front foot. If you dont start with your mass centered over your ski it will never get there in the course. As one of my ski partners says pretend you are a one legged man and stand like that in your glide. If you start with your mass centered and balanced when you go into the course you will have a better start, things may start to drift back to old habits while you get deeper down the course and line, but these things can be changed with practice out of the course in your get up and set down time.

You are running 32off so you are doing something right already.

A pass down the course from pull up to set down is about 45sec. You are only on the course for about 16sec skiing. Make sure you use the rest of the time practice getting on the front of the ski.

How far do you get into 35?

• Baller

@lhoover While you are a bit heavy on the rear foot, don't be too hard on yourself. The Nano One has a LOT of rocker and not a lot of tail width. It rides tip high by design. Just about any ski you were on before your Nano One would have ridden with more tip in the water so comparing your old videos to your new ones might be a bit disconcerting.

Normally, you could get more tip in the water by moving your bindings forward, reducing your fin's distance from tail, or by adding more length or more wing. I too have a Nano One and have tried all of these out of curiosity. All these changes do is take the ski out of its sweet spot without putting much more ski in the water at all. The best thing you can do is to adapt our technique to get yourself more over your front foot for this ski.

One other consideration; it looks like you are using Radar Strada bindings. I'm not confident that the standard practice of measuring from the bottom thread along the sole of the front binding puts your bindings in the right place on a Goode. I moved my Stradas one hole forward (the rearmost hole on the Strada plate) and prefer where it puts me on the ski.

I hope this helps ...

• Baller
Lowell, I'm with Matt. Getting up over the ball of the front foot was the first thing Charles started beating into me. Requires you to lift your rear heel. 2nd thing is reaching up over the buoy. That moves the inside shoulder and hip forward, engaging the forebody rocker. Tim is reaching behind the rope, to the side. His inside shoulder dips down coming at the buoy because of it. A couple of things cleaned up will have him running mid 38. What's the water temp at Deegan's?

• Baller

@lhoover and @rico agree. Your back leg is bent so much that your back knee is nearly in front of your front knee at times...you won't find any super short-liners who ski that way.

Nice skiing so far. If you can fix this another line length is yours.

• Baller
@Horton. Question. doesn't straightening your back leg increase the weight on the back foot? I am trying it as we speak, and it feels like my COM goes towards the back foot when I straighten the back leg out. It feels like straightening is actually pushing down on the back of the ski.

• Baller
Ballers, all good stuff, shall make sure to advise on the results over the next couple of months if he is still skiing. Shane, skied today in glorious, sunny weather, but the water was a chilly 62*. Yikes, we need some warm nights and some rain---not in that order.

• Baller
Brady, OB is coming to ski with us in a Houston layover on Monday and you heard him, what a wuss. Good folk would kill for that warm water in late November, right? Of course, I'm not getting in it, just driving, but that's not the point......

If focusing on your leg position seems weird, try to think of pulling your hips forward on the ski. Your center of balance in that stance looks to be on the arch of your rear foot, I've been told that it should be centered on the arch of your front foot. Better skiers that me with greater understanding of modern technique should be able to weigh in on whether this is correct.

• Baller

No one mentioned handle control. Looks like the handle is really coming away from the body in the preturn (not seeing much inside elbow bend especially on 1/3/5 side). That seperation will cause the upper body to brake over.

I like to think about the Bruce Butterfield handle control article were he says imagine a steel cable to the handle connected to your navel - so as the handle is releasing my hips need to the follow like there connected. Then I tie that in with counter rotating so that I'm reaching forward my inside hip follows. This helps me get my hips forward and more centered on the ski.

Since your using a one handed gate should help there as well.

So lifting the heel during your pull out, but not necessarily during the run? I can see where it would shift you forward, but I'm not sure I would see it as you're getting ready to finish the turn and start loading the line. If the problem is just at the gates I can see where it would be the answer.