Women's Ski Question

kld11053

• Baller

Hi Everyone,

I currently am on a KD Xenon (same as the KD 3000), running the mini course no problem, and I'm ready to start going for the full course. My main question is, will this ski hold me back? If it is, I am thinking about buying a D3, but since I cannot demo them, and I really can't get a clear answer as to which ski would be best for me, I need help!!!! I am comfortable trying the course at 28 mph, and don't see going more than 30 mph for a few years, and I've heard some skis like to go faster than 30mph. Which just confuses me more. So, I'm looking for opinions from people who aren't trying to sell me something. I am open to buying used, as long as it's in good condition, so a past model is not out of the question. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!! Thanks!!11

• Administrators

@kld11053 if you are in the USA you can and should demo. D3 and other companies do a money back guarantee so if you do not like the ski you just send it back.

As for the old KD it is a good shape but newer skis are better. I would say that every 3 or 4 years we go through a generation of ski design. That KD is roughly 4 generations out of date.

Don't worry about your speed. You simply need a ski that you are comfortable on and that performs well. A D3 X3 would be a step up and you would be at home on it right away. If you wanted to go to the X7 that would be better but if you want to take baby steps go with the X3. (the X7 comes in pink)

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I am pretty much in the same place as you. I went to see Seth Stisher for a week (which I highly recommend), and he put me on a D3 X7, which was great. I've never skied the X3, so I can't comment on Hortons other suggestion, but I completely agree with him about the X7. Question for the manufacturers (and note to Horton): why do you all think all women love pink? Over the age of 12 most of us are up for colors other than candy pink! I'd really like to find a womans vest that didn't have any pink on it.

• Baller

I'm a big fan of women. Glad to see more here! :)

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the KD you have. But skis have come a long way since that thing was built. In fact, I feel they've come farther in the last 3 years than they did the previous 10. So a current design would be a huge step up. The D3s are rock solid and you'd probably feel very comfortable on any of them The X3 with it's softer layup, would probably be a very natural migration path for you. I had a friend in your same situation and I put her on a 65 Radar Senate C and she's been loving it the last few years.

@kld11053

i ski on the x7 and i love it. i am not aggressive and can only ski the mini course at a very slow speed. i don't have any problems with my good side, but i feel like my offside turns are much better with the x7. i believe the moderator of this site said it correctly in that the technology is increasing faster than our skill level, so the newer ski you are on, the easier of time you will have.

kld11053-

yes, the kd was the only ski i tried. I have only skied on HOs in the past and was skiing on a System 8. I usually ski at 30 mph at home because the wake is much better at that speed on our boat, but Seth slowed me down to 28, and I did fine, so don't think of the x7 as just a ski for faster speeds. If you are looking for a new ski, Seth does a "try before you buy" program. I haven't used it but if you go to his website sethstisher.com, you can get the details. If you want a used ski, go to ski-it-again.com

• Baller
My wife started off on a 67" HO Triumph but everyone thought it was too big for her, I got her a 64" Fischer 01 blue and she loved it but I felt it was too small for her so found a 66" Fischer for her and she looked much better on the larger ski and ended up running the course on it within 2 months of getting it so I would say size makes a big difference.

• Baller
Definitely D3. I've had a D3 custom and am now on a Z7. Absolutely love the ski and feel like it finishes the turns better than the custom I had. It's stable and forgiving in my opinion. I started off at 28/-15 like you and am now into 34/-22 with no need to get a new ski. I don't think you'll be sorry if you go D3. Good luck!

• Baller
After talking to some more people, I've had a few say if I can find a D3 X5 to snag it. Supposedly it's more forgiving than an X7 and a lot of women have done very well on it. Anybody have experience with an X5? Anybody have one they want to sell????

• Baller
@kid11053 Have you tried skiitagain? also, don't laugh, but our local classified has a ton of stuff on it and it is surprisingly well organized. go to ksl.com, which is the news site and then go to the classified link. good luck in the hunt! and congrats on your success on the course