ZO short set ups.

Wish

• Baller_
Lake has a short set up. We travel tawords the shore and spin into the course. With ZO being speed based and the turn slowing the boat down, seems as though you have to get the throttle just right. Push it to hard out of turn to climb to speed and it's to fast when boat nose is at pregates. Boat engages at that spot and then u can hear it drop off and settle in. Messes with pull out. Stay off the throttle and risk late engaging and slow times (after boat passes pregates). Is there a setting to widen this variable? Perhaps get it to engage sooner and settle in? 07 Boo LX1

How short is it @Wish?

We disengage after the 55's & then drive just under engagement RPM until we straighten out of the turn.

Seems to get us pretty spot on by the Pregates.

Mapped the lake yesterday for just that reason. Currently have 88m at the fartherest end of our turn at the top end and 143m at the shallow end.

This week-ends project; Move it about 27 metres south!

a4db4241ef45e303e2c2d357f803a3.jpg

• Baller_
Will have to map mine to know distance but the SN 196 with Older PP has no issues turning out perfect setups and in tolerance times for 38 and 39 off skiers. PP engages much earlier as RPM are higher (speed lower) in the turn. Seems like the ZO just waits to get up to speed 35.5 before engaging. Push the throttle to get up to speed quicker and your pulling out on a fast boat. When you hit the glide you can hear the boat slow itself down.

• Baller_
@Jody Seal. I'll check. But my guess is they are working. You can get it right with the boat. It's just that you have to be so exact with the throttle coming out of the turn and accelerating. Have to keep it within 50 - 100 rpms of what we have found to be ideal, meaning the boats not to slow or not to fast for skier pull out. Outside of that range and it's fast at pull out (then dumps speed) or to slow to engage before pre gates.

• Baller_
Kinda agree in that I've been to many short set up sites in tournaments (short and driving straight in) and have not experienced this. The Boo is not my boat but one I drive and ski behind so any suggestions for a fix, diagnose, or settings change is appreciated. And thanks to those who have suggested things.

• Baller
@Wish - Do you/did you have the same issue with SG without Z-Box engaged? I'm wondering if you don't need to fix the surging, slow to engage etc issues (assuming they haven't been addressed in SG first) before you start throwing Z-Box into the equasion? Fixing that in SG has been discussed here numerous times.

• Baller_
@Ed not a Z box. The 07 Boo has a newly installed Zero Off and new ECM. The 196 has an older PP and sets up just fine after spinning into course. Boo has to have almost exact throttle control or to fast at pull out then dumps speed or late engagement. If we did what @Chef23 does and just buried out of the turn, it would be going way to fast for pull out. In the tournaments with short set ups I've been to I believe they do just that or close. They bury it and it's always felt fine. So nothing can be changed in setting?.

• Baller
Malibus are a bit screwy on throttle up, especially early ones with zo. If you let zo engage and then move the throttle it will run and go screaming into the gates. If you don't give it enough, then it takes forever. It should not be engaging at almost 36, though. That's way late. Regardless, even a short setup shouldn't be an issue unless the motor is a dog or the prop is incorrect. Who did the conversion? Has the ECM been flashed with the latest firmware? Just because it was new doesn't mean it has the latest.

• Baller

My 11MC with ZO does not like getting the throttle buried right out of the end either. If I hand drive it smoothly up to speed (backing off if I had to bury it to accellerate) it works great. The speed acquire beep precedes ZO engagement by maybe a second. That time is critical to hand drive close to speed. Gently add (bury?) throttle after ZO is engaged and a smooth pull happens. But ZO can overshoot by a lot if you're not careful - or react strongly to an undershoot. And agressive throttle movements seem to override ZO - at least early in the acquire sequence. Driver technique should allow for good pulls in a short lake - but it does take some skill.

My throttle cable PP needed similar treatment. But since burying the throttle on PP was not recommended, hand driving to close was standard.

I understand burying the throttle for jump. But slalom and tricks really does not need that much excess throttle. And in the event of some GPS issue, I don't want the boat to massively run away. So I don't bury the throttle - just add enough excess that the skier has all the throttle needed for a hard pull. If it beep beep beeps between buoys, you need more throttle. Unless the skier is an animal, you won't need all of it.

My lake is fairly short and we normally start in the hole straight in. A maximum performance startup is needed to get things right by the green buoys. But we do it regularly.

Eric

• Baller
FWIW our 07 RLXi was a dog. I hated that boat. IIRC that was the first year they had cats on the Monsoon and the only year of shift-by-wire. The '11 and '12 bu's have been rockets (seriously ridiculous acceleration) and absolutely no problem on our very, very short 180 degree turn setup.