Will Asher sets pending world record at last tournament of the year!

Horton

• Baller_

Nobody sponsors tournaments except the site owners. Most all of us pay the same entry fees as the open division so why not allow the age group to pick their boat? why should a low level open skier get to pick their boat when a high level age group or MM can not? different story if manufacturers are involved and skiers are being paid, either to win, a record or just appearance fee.

Like I posted earlier change to format option to a trials type format then allow all to ski under the conditions that they feel is best for what ever they are chasing, records,pb's nationals qualification or whatever.

• Administrators

I wonder if this is an unnecessary can of worms. Tournaments are already a hassle to host. Do need to make it harder?

Shit! Just realized my 3 best ever scores were all CC200. Hell I don't know.

Back on topic. I super pumped for JT and Asher. Big steps for both.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Great skiing. That A3 will be very popular.

As for the boat choice, you all know it will make the tournaments too long and some boats may get abused while others don't even pull enough skiers to make it worth bringing them. I like all the boats this year but others do not.

• Baller

@baller2baller - Most high level athletics have penalties for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Purposefully finishing with a low score (regardless the reason) is frowned upon. Hence if the skier's contract specifies that they must not set records behind other people's boats, and the skier is purposefully not taking a crack at it due to the tow boat - that is... weak sauce.

Having a team athlete set a record behind someone else's product should not be viewed as a product weakness, but a personal achievement. Maybe we should quit tracking and de-emphasise the towboat in the record.

• Administrators

@BraceMaker That is just not how it is. The factories want to claim a record. Malibu now co-holds the Men's slalom record and has the woman's record. Expect to see that in the next ad you see. They care and I would assume they bonus the team skiers for setting a record behind their boat.

I am sure records have not been set in the last few years because the skier chose to not do it behind the "wrong" boat.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
Personal services contracts are taken very seriously by the manufacturers. It is very important to them that the correct vehicle be used for the record. If you think ensuring that a contracted skier gets a record behind the correct boat is a challenge, try all the requirements behind some of the top level motorsports athletes. . . those end of race accolades all ring up the cash register and if they miss, no cha-ching, wrong brand rental car, oops and the list goes on.

• Baller

Some bad news - the performance won't hold up due to Boat Path Deviation.

This occurred at #6 on the 10.25m (41' off) and the two buoys on the 9.75m (43'off) pass.

http://www.tonylightfoot.com/images/index1.jpg

http://www.tonylightfoot.com/images/index2.jpg

http://www.tonylightfoot.com/images/index3.jpg

Sad indeed. Hopefully he'll get the chance to do it for real in the future.

• Baller_

Tony did you get the no credit due to your own analysis? or from Mr. Corson and the technical committee? Remember they look at where the pylon is not where the back of the boat went. We saw the very same thing with Parrish's record where someone posted a end course with the back of the boat very much moving but the pylon stayed with in tolerance!

• Baller_

The driver in this vid always impresses me . You can see how the rear end of the boat sways out of line with the skier. Then watch the pylon. It's dead center the whole time. It's really gotta be tough to drive for that kind of shortline coupled with the power of the elites skiers. I feel as bad for Will's driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYu_ifbef0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Baller
It's damn tough driving any record tournament. Look at Chad Scott, though. The tied World Record of Ben Favret that he drove for was turned down due to boat path. He then went on to drive for multiple world records. It's always a learning experience, especially when you see your boat path in video. Very, very humbling at times.

• Baller_

Brian I would say in the Video you posted the Driver was favoring the passenger side, also the boat was a bit unbalanced down to the passenger side. Path reasonably straight, Nate ran 43 on the 1,3,5 side and 39 on the 2,4,6 side.... Adds up to 41! Nate is light behind the boat , Will on the other hand is very powerful and can surprise a driver anytime and get his way behind the boat.

Keep in mind that a number of record (not just world) applications get denied every year in all three events driving is usually the least reason for denial and more then anything technical issues are the reasons.

Chris and Will along with Nate and a couple others will up the anti I am sure in 2013, the record will go down!

• Baller

Just so everyone is reminded. You have two parameters to boat path for record ratification. You have a 20cm(approx 8") max deviation at any one buoy. Then you have a cumulative deviation as you go down the course that on average gets smaller the farther downcourse you go. The cumulative deviation allowances are:

Cumulative Deviation

0.25 - 1.00 buoy=20 cm

1.25 - 2.00 buoy=28 cm

2.25 - 3.00 buoy=35 cm

3.25 - 4.00 buoy=40 cm

4.25 - 5.00 buoy=45 cm

5.25 - 6.00 buoy=49 cm

If the skier takes you early in the pass(but within the 20cm maximum), your cumulative deviation gets even smaller on average later in the pass. If the skier takes you to the max deviation at 5 or 6, but you've had a cumulative less than max tolerance earlier, you might get by.

• Baller
@ShaneH Just so I understand the numbers above mean you can be a maximum of 8" off center at 1, 3.1" off center at 2, 2.75" off center at 3, 1.96" off center at 4, 1.96" off center at 5 and 1.57" off center at 6 for the boat path to be good? Or if you are 8" off at 1 can you only move the boat a max of 2,75" back towards the center at 2? Ie cumulative boat movement versus cumulative derivation from center?. I assume the first is the right way to interpret the numbers.

• Baller
@colo_skier Its both a max deviation at a single ball and a cumulative deviation thru the course. No single ball can have more than 8 inches (20 cm) of help, but you can't weave 8 in. at every ball for a record. If your going to weave, it needs to average less than 3.2 in. (8.1cm=49cm/6) at each ball for a full pass, but the weave can widen to 5.5 in (28cm/2) for 2 buoys.