Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Ok Ballers... Critique me 28 thru 39 this will keep me busy thru the winter

Rich

• Baller

Wow, fun to watch Rich and tough to pick out much due to the high quality skiing. See what you think of this:

Love the way your ski runs out of your onside balls but I think you get a little deep early, then come up a little early out of the onside This causes a momentary "pose" position going into the offside where you lose a little speed and then don't run as well out of the offside. You don't pose going into onside...nice fluid movement. Taking less right off the ball (though you don't want to lose the way the ski runs like a shot out of the ball right now), or perhaps simply slowing the transition to edge change just a squeak may help. Take a look at your vid again and see if you think I'm onto anything...if not discard the advice!

Lots of good stuff...beautiful handle control, great skiing...where I want to be before my body tanks.

• Baller

Walnut Grove Ca. We call it Twin Cities. We recently merged with a club called Beach Lake. Nice site 3000 ft long, 400 ft wide 20 plus deep. Anchored in course. We planted 1500 Euc's

on windward side of lake. I'm riding a nano one, stock set up. Video shot about 10 days ago

• Baller
i have very little time in the coarse so no expert by any means but i do watch a lot of pro skiers on slo mo video and may be because i dont know any better 1 thing seems obvious 2 me. almost every off side turn you dont counter much and then you kill the end of the turn by bring your freehand back to handle real quick so the turn ends and you lay your head and shoulder over when you try for a second finish of the turn. your a real good skier so i dont know if this is as bad as it seams but thats the 1 thing i see that is way different than the top guys like smith and parish

• Baller
@barney I have already got some good feedback. Its harder to see ourselves than others. @mwetskier I see it more that you mention that. It seems that the lack of counter going into offside is afecting quite a few things. Thanks for your input!

• Administrators

@Rich,

It does seem like you counter with your away shoulder back not with your inside shoulder forward. This moves you back on the ski. It looks like you are falling to the inside at the apex.

It also looks like your shoulders are always leaned in a lot approaching the ball.

Your average is above mine so that is all I will give you.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Hey Horton, sounds like the old days, eevrything was a secret, maybe I'll start covering up my fin with a sock. Thanks for the kind words... Now I want more...LOL What exactly do you mean by this "you counter with your away shoulder back not with your inside shoulder forward"

It took alot for me to even post this video, I'm my own toughest critic. Looking for that magic to happen in '13 ski season.

• Baller

Rich, you give some really good feedback to others, really appreciate it. You helped me a lot. 1,3,5 side turns are a little tight causing your work area to be moved out and edge change too a little early. Out of 2,4,6 turns you tend to hold your edge a little long especially as the rope gets shorter, maybe a some scrambling going on there.

I was really focusing on handle control (specifically hanging on to the handle with both hands in preturn) for a while last summer, caused me to ski narrow and make tight turns like that. Not sure what's going on there with you but if you can smooth out your turns I think your be getting a few more buoys, Maybe get you into a final next year. You tried moving your fin back some?

Your not countering on the 2,4,6 but of a lot of good skier don't on there toe side. That side might get fixed on its on with some tweaks on the heel side turn and transition.

Also, Marcus brown had some good points on the that Nate Smith thread the other day. You might reread some of that. Trailing arm pressure, standing tall in the turn etc.

@ob agree with you on the gates, I like to keep my handle low helps me from dropping my hips. Heavy back foot pressure, is it a result or a cause? Seems like your kinda falling back just at the finish of the turn.

• Baller

@rich there were actually 3 threads that I was following that had a lot of related info in them in the last few weeks. The first one is the one Marcus was commenting on.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/6769/anyone-understand-what-smith-is-doing-in-this-image/p3

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/6826/looking-for-best-instructional-dvd - marcos on west coast slalom posted by @shaneh

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/6851/counter-rotate-or-not-to-counter-rotate

• Baller
@rich - great skiing. I always appreciate your comments and insight so I'll offer what little thought I have on this. Your 2,4,6 buoys I notice that as you finish the turn you really close your shoulder coming out of the buoy. Don't know what the cause of it is, or if it is a problem, but it is just what I noticed. Again - terrific skiing!!!

• Administrators

@Rich what i mean is coming into 2/4/6 you counter by taking your left shoulder back. This shifts your weight back. If your counter is more of a rotation around your spin or your right shoulder forward, your center of mass will not go to the tail of the ski.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can