Skiing In Denver/Ft. Collins

Rpc29

• Baller

I'm currently pursuing a few job opportunities in the Denver/Ft. Collins area. I was wondering if there were any club set ups in the area where I could have access to skiing without buying property?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!!

• Baller
@rpc29 I have an email into a realtor in Denver re: some ski communities there. Got an early response but I had lots of ski specific questions he is chasing regarding some ski communities. On google earth appears there are lots of ski specific lakes in Colorado. We are not ready to move right now, but the combo of not too hot summers, not too cold winters, lots of recreational activities and a social environment that may work for us is tempting down the road.

• Baller
@rpc29 There are a bunch of lakes around here. I live in Loveland and ski on a private lake that you pretty much need to own property to ski on. Laku is 15 minutes away and a great ski site located in Windsor. Greeley has lake Madison which I have never skied but driven by numerous times and looks like a great place to ski. Greeley is 45 minutes from Loveland. Brighton is an hour away and has Cottonwood another great ski site. There are a few others like frontrange ski club but there lake usually goes dry in mid July. If looking for more of a fun family lake than a slalom lake there are a few places around wellington and stuff that are more recreational than competition. I would recommend living in Loveland or Fort Collins if thats where you are going to work. I25 can be a royal pain from Denver to Loveland sometimes. If you want to know more you can pm me.

• Baller
Soda Lakes is a pay per set lake in Denver, but not close to Fort Collins, about an hours drive. Conditions there are not always perfect, but you can reserve a time, ski your set, pay your 30 bucks (give or take), and be on your way. It is off of C470 and Hwy 285.

• Baller
@6balls I don't know much about aloha valley beach but it is close by Tommys slalom shop in Denver. Used to have a strip club right there on the lake then became a bar now I don't think it is anything. Houses all along the lake now. Fairly narrow lake from what I have heard nobody slaloms there any more mostly wakeboarders. Home owners started complaining about the noise so I think they put restrictions on when you could run your boat and put in a cable park on one part of it.

• Baller
A friend of mine lives in Denver and loves it. She is not a water skier but LOVES the outdoors and I don't think she'll ever move back here to IL. Like was said above, lots of other recreation opportunities as well. Plus you're only a few hours from southern Utah which is some of the most awesome scenery anywhere.

• Baller
@skier2788 thanks. Initially looked like a way to remain quasi metro but live on a slalom lake. Will investigate the area more closely if/when we think it's time for a move. Will be here 8 yrs minimum...and it ain't all bad...just hate the winters. Ski/life/work situation pretty good otherwise.

• Baller

@skier2788 thanks a bunch. I like the climate and recreational possibilities, not to mention the potential for suburban living after being rural for quite some time. My youngest is 10 y.o. and I forsee riding her HS years out here. Given compensation, I would be fool to move right now as job is advantageous but as health care turns doc jobs may become more equivalent in terms of pay/benefits. Thanks again for the offer of help.

Are you in Colorado at present? Might consider some vacations that direction to get a feel for various places in the coming years.

• Baller
@6balls - If you find yourself in Colorado, look me up also. I'd be happy to show you around the Western Slope of the Rockies. Our lake is in Montrose in the western part of the state, and only an hour from Telluride, which has some world class snow skiing. Were not exactly the urban hub that the Front Range is, but it is pretty darn nice around here.

• Baller

@Rpc29 I don't know much about aloha valley beach but it is close by Tommys slalom shop in Denver. Used to have a strip club right there on the lake then became a bar now I don't think it is anything. Houses all along the lake now. Fairly narrow lake from what I have heard nobody really slaloms there anymore mostly wakeboarders. Home owners started complaining about the noise so I think they put restrictions on when you could run your boat and put in a cable park on one part of it.

You would be like an hour and a half from Loveland from there. I think you would have to put up with a lot of stuff from nonslalom skiers but for 500 bucks its not a bad deal.