Anyone know this lake?

rodltg2

• Baller

Location................ actually I like the location, but it is only 5 miles down the road from my lake, I guess it just depends on your point of reference. Also, google earth just loaded new imagery for the area from 9/10/2012. It is MUCH better resolution. You can zoom in to see the slalom and jump course bouys and see that there is plenty of width for the slalom course. (The longer length makes it look narrow). Paste this in to the google earth search window to view:

39° 1'15.52"N 90°18'24.44"W

• Baller
@skiinxs. Great google look. I have been skiing the course with my mouse for the last 15 minutes, wishing and dreaming it was mine! Based on how fast my google earth scanning feature was moving, I think I just skied 41 off with my mouse!

• Baller
Nice place! I would have my boat house attached to the back of my garage, and have a track system going from the water to the garage, that way I would never need to use a tow vehicle unless I was taking my boat to the marina for service. It would get the tracks powder coating in a green that matches the grass, and put patio stones in between them for a path down to the water.

• Baller

@gaj0004 - only problem is that track is a great thing to kick. Very painful. Quite a few people have them up in our parts, as you need to pull everything out of the water, and the track units break down pretty easily into rail sections and support brackets.

Being that we're talking dreaming anyhow, I would have an I beam gantry crane under a walk out deck over the whole works, with an electric winch to haul the boat up the track into garage.

• Baller_
We had a boat house/garage built close to the shore on our home lake. 16 foot regular garage door and all. More like a bunker really, built into the tall bank with 4 block walls and a concrete roof (deck). The concrete floor was about 5 ft higher then the water. My dad built a track system and a cradle. At about 30 ft long and a good angle to the water, it worked great. Flip a switch and in or out it goes. Accept when the pin would occationally snap in the power winch system. Man did that boat make a hellova splash when it hit the water. I like pic boat houses better. but ours worked for 40 yrs.

• Baller

Actually the building on the left is the boathouse, I can't imagine a better setup. Three stalls, electric door openers on all three, remote in the boat.

http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MDBERUE1MEI2RjIzNUE4Q0Y5Mzk6MTg5ZTFlMTIyODI2ZDlkZWI1Y2JmYzIwMjdhYTBiNWY=

http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MDBERUE1MEI2RjIzNUE4Q0Y5Mzk6ODA2ODlmODRkYzc4OGFmYmZhZDU5YmUyMDlmMWRjNGI=

http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/MDBERUE1MEI2RjIzNUE4Q0Y5Mzk6NjJjYzA4ZTA1ZDY5MTEyNWNhNDhhNTMzZGI1YzhiMTM=

privateskilakeestate.com

• Baller

I like the set up in the photos above too, but boat houses are not permitted on Lake Latonka. You are not allowed to have any outbuildings, shelters, or anything within 75 feet of the waters edge. The setup above is perfect if you are on a lake that does not freeze. If I were putting in a track system I would bury the posts in the ground so the tracks would only be an inch or two off the ground. I would surround them with patio stones so you could walk near them without tripping over them. We have a roll-a-dock and a shorestation lift. We don't get the intense sun even in the summer like you get in the south. A boathouse in the south I can see is a necessity.

• Baller
@gaj0004 - I know that at lakes in Canada, and in areas where there is a lot ice, people will put an aerator at the end of their dock to keep the ice from forming around the posts. In the beating sun, your right, a house or shelter is nice to protect from all the UV rays.

• Baller
I like the touchless boat covers for the south. I would put one of those on my shorestation, but the extra weight would make it too difficult for me to get my lift out of the water in the fall. I would still use the roll-a-dock in the south on a natural lake, that way you can move your dock in or out if the water level changes. Lake Latonka is man made with a spillway, so if we get a heavy rain, the level only stays above normal for a short time.

• Baller

@Gaj0004 -

Heck if you have a boat on the lift anyway.... just get a ratcheting come along, lower your craddle all the way, ratchet the lift up using the bouyancy of your boat, then put the wheel kit on, lower it back down and tow it up on shore.

Pier pleasure lifts will sell you a post to stick in the ground on shore so you can use a rope strung through it and you pull the lift up with your boat.

Or you can use my method which requires a high lift offroading jack and wheel kit.

• Baller
@bracemaker. My lift is pretty easy to take out. I use a 4x4 timber as a crowbar and push it. Once I get it close to shore I use an electric winch on the back of a utility trailer to pull it up on shore. Our docks have wheels. The winch pulls them out all the way.