65" MasterCraft Pulse Settings

BarneyLongden

These skis do break down with age. You should at least demo a new ski, you might find that people are right. The Pulse should only have adjustment on the wing angle. I'd suggest starting it around 8°. I also believe that we generally moved the bindings one hole forward most of the time.

That said, guys leave him alone. He loves his ski. Don't we all. I've seen people ski amazingly well on much worse.

He'll know when he's ready to make a change.

• Baller

The Pulse was a challenging ski for me. The Obrien Impulse was almost the same ski but stiffer. It worked much better. I don't believe they had adjustable fins so there are no settings. Especially for a Schnitz fin.

Your buoy count will be higher on a modern ski. Even an old modern ski.

Some antique skis might be fun to build with modern materials. A 65" Connelly HP would be an interesting project to splash. Or an EP Comp1. The Pulse is setting (properly) buried in a corner not on any resurrect schedule.

Eric

• Baller

@Ham Wallace - He is saying he installed or someone installed an adjustable fin box from Steve Schnitz in the history of the ski.

In which case if you have the non-adjustable fin, install it, measure it, and transfer those measurements.

No one's gonna have good numbers for you on this ski.

• Baller
Barney, the ski did not have an adjustable fin, like I and Ham pointed out above. Most stock fins use to come at around 2.500 deep with no bias to front down or up, that is why I said put it in so the top of the fin blade is parallel to the ski, and most fins are around .700-.750 dft, using head of caliper. That is the best fin setting advice you are going to find unless you get the one or two guys who might have put an asjustable fin on it ( and that is being generous in how many might have back then). That far back, dial calipers were not a household word in skiing. I had a Pulse with double HO boots, shimmed with a Jobe wedge to help my offside turn, and that would have been a radical setup in many circles.