What wing angle do you use?

schroed

• Baller

A wing helps your ski decelerate into the turn after the edge change. When you are skiing at longer lines or skiing longer paths at slower speed one needs to keep their speed up and more constant. To do this you remove the break or wing. Leaving the wing on when you are working on longer lines and slower speeds trains you to pull to long to try to maintain speed into the ball and try to pull to hard out of the ball to speed back up when speed could remain more constat with out the wing.

@Horton chime in here if I went the wrong way with this.

• Administrators

@Brady

Basically a wing is drag. @MattP has it pretty right. On many skis I do not like a wing at all.

Wings also impact turn radius but again this is a crutch until you are a shorter rope and the angles are acute.

at 36 mph a wing is a must. At 34 most but not all skiers use a wing. At slower speeds I think it just makes more work for the skier.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@MattP The short answer is that I tend to lose width when the water gets cold and "thick" because the ski decelerates and turns better in the pre-turn than it does in warm water. Less wing angle reduces both of these tendencies in cold water.

• Baller
In cold water it gets harder to generate angle across the wakes, this makes you ski from ball to ball with no room or width. This is what creates the feeling of been fast and out of control. Once in cold water ski with your normal setting but concentrate on angle and width. The earlier and wider you get, the slower it will feel. I personally drop my wing to 8 degrees from 9. 36mph when it gets to 55F ish. Lowering the wing makes it easier to get width. So with the width comes better exit from the ball and more angle. Giving you space and time at the next one, making it feel a lot slower.

• Baller

I had been 7 for years over a half dozen skis, but on the N1 I like 9 best so far. 7, perversely, seems to make it a little hard to get wide at -38.

I strongly agree on not using a wing while learning. A pre-28 skier should be entirely focused on building more angle and more speed. The day when you can build so much during that phase that you need some help to drop it or control it lies in the future.

• Baller
7 on fusion, none on A2....i've had mixed results with or without. i think without makes ur turn longer but less space in front of red buoys. i can scrap thru 38 with or without but cant get a start at 39 without. mostly because i'm clueless at that line length.