2012 Strada vs 2013 Strada?

Waternut

• Baller

Since my season is over, I'm now on the hunt for new gear. I'm currently on an MPD which I do like. I tested out a 2012 Strada and thought it was close to my MPD but I wasn't really comfortable behind that lakes boat so I couldn't get a real feel for it. Couldn't get a real feel for my own ski to be totally honest so my Strada test isn't really valid.

So I guess my question is two fold. Will I notice much of a difference between an MPD and a 2012 Strada? Second, with some used 2012 Stradas costing almost half the price of a new 2013 Strada, is the upgrade from 2012 to 2013 worth the extra cost for someone still trying to get to 36mph?

• Baller

I've been on an MPD since they first came out with the Radar version (not the early Jobe version, although I tried one and liked it as well). I bought a Strada when they came out; for me it didn't work out well. Reason - I tend to stay back on the ski too much in the off side turns (damn bum knees...). To make the Strada work in the offside turn you have to shift weight up over the ski more to engage the front of the ski. The MPD doesn't require that, not as much anyway. That to me is the primary difference between the two, plus the Strada seems quicker side to side. At 28 - 35 off that isn't really an issue for me FWIW, the MPD is plenty quick enough.

95% of people who try the Strada love it, for me I spent most of a frustrating wasted season trying to make it work. Liked the feel of the ski (very similar to the MPD I thought), just couldn't make it turn consistently on the offside. IMO if you don't have an issue getting on the front of the ski in the offside you'll probably like the Strada a lot. If not...