MPD to Vice

east tx skier

Well, after putting on a few pounds over the years (and I haven't given up on getting rid of those), I started shopping for a 68" ski to replace my beloved 67" MPD. I am a slower speed long liner, but have always enjoyed riding the higher end skis. I had hunted for a reasonably priced Strada, but never found a 68 in my budget. I picked up a closeout 2012 Radar Vice yesterday. This looks like it will be a good fit for my speed and line length.

Anyone care to expound on what I might expect in coming to the Vice from the MPD?

P.S. I have read Horton's review.

• Baller

I went the other way actually. Went from a 66" Annex to the 67" MPD because I was skiing slow speed long line and had put on some weight. I wanted to try a bigger ski similar to my Annex because I was sinking at the buoys at 28-30mph and I didn't want to spend big money on something that may or may not make a difference. I really didn't notice any difference in the way the ski's felt but my skill improved dramatically just by having the correct sized ski.

The longer ski felt like turning a bus at first but I quickly realized that it felt like a bus because I was able to get away with doing things half arsed instead of properly. I demoed a 67" 2012 Strada about a month ago as well and didn't really notice a big difference between it and my MPD except for the little things I was doing half arsed on the MPD had to be corrected. I think you'll enjoy your new ski within the very first set but the first couple passes may feel wierd.

• Baller
@east tx skier FWIW I went back to my MPD after trying a Strada (same shape as the Vice if I'm not mistaken, different core). If the Vice doesn't work out and you can't find another 68" MPD (actually I think there are a couple on Ski-It-Again right now) the RS1 comes from the same mould as the MPD and in my experience skis identically. May actually be a bit quicker side-to-side in fact. I picked up a low mileage RS1 last winter and skied it quite a bit this season, really like the ski just as much as the MPD and ski on it equally well.

• Baller
Keep the MPD for friends or for that day when you do lose the weight or reach a high enough speed that you're back into the range of that ski again. I sold my Annex but I knew if I reached the speed where that ski was useable or I lost enough weight, I'd want something newer. I also had a fairly forgiving ski for friends that was 66" that wouldn't sell for anything close to my Annex.

Welll, four months later, and I finally rode the Vice. I really enjoyed it. Took it easy on the river. Pretty soft and forgiving feeling compared to the MPD, and that's saying something. Turned well. Not a rocket, but the MPD never felt unusually fast compared to some other skis. Will enjoy getting to know it better.

Thanks, all. I have the stock settings. I was just wondering if anyone had run anything different that worked well. I know it's best to start from stock and tweak, which is what I am doing. But on past skis I have owned, there were always some crowd preferred settings. I know this ski wasn't the big seller that some of my past skis have been.

Plus, on my last three skis, they have all seemed to come alive with boots forward, and DFT about 0.002 forward of stock. Don't ask me why.