Ski Rack question

Chuck_Dickey

• Baller
I'd be interested to see what people have as well. Currently the skis just sit on a picnic table down by the dock while the suits and vests hang between two trees. An OK setup but with other people and other peoples savage children running around I don't like the idea of the skis sitting on the table waiting to be wrecked....dang savages already wrecked a perfectly good hammock.

@colo_skier

I'll still ski at the Quarry, the members there are great folks, but only as a moocher. Actually, I'll just trade them rides at my new site, I may have a waiting list!

No room in the rafters of the dock for ski storage, the rafters are are all finished off with with paneling, recessed can lighting, speakers and a ceiling fan This was done as well to keep birds from nesting in the rafters. There is access for any needed repairs through crawl space but that's limited.

I want to be able to easily roll a ski rack into the garage when were finished skiing as well as keep the skis and wetsuits off the deck. I want to build something that will be highly functional and complement the surroundings. So, I guess I'm looking for a ski rack / gear organizer. Any ideas are welcome.

• Baller

Just thinking out loud, but what if you had brackets mounted on the side of your dock on the horizontal surface. Down low would be a flat surface with a little depression for the back of the ski to settle into, up a little higher a modified C shape that acts like a sleeve holding the ski upright. Would not require rolling anything, does not obstruct view, and takes up no dock floor-space. Skis simply fit right in the slots. Could color match to dock.

• Baller

In my boat garage I put up standard shelving hardware, and instead up putting up shelves I covered the supports with pipe insulation to protect the skis. The skis themselves essentially become the shelves. For ropes, vests and wetsuits I cut some 1 by 6 boards and drilled holes in them and put in steel screw hooks, and bolted them to the joists in the ceiling. I spaced the hooks so nothing hanging from them are touching so they have enough space to dry out if I am not able to get them dried out before putting them in the garage. The vests and wetuits are all hanging from the hooks on hangers, and the ropes are hanging from their rope keepers. I also make my own wetsuit hangers. I will put pipe insulation on the hangers, and then cover some of them with bubble wrap for the heavier stuff like drysuits and barefoot suits. I also have a couple of plastic jars bolted to my rope rack. The lids of the jars are bolted to the ceiling, and just open and close the jars to take them down. I store all the small miscellaneous parts for the boat and skis in them. I have 3 spots on the wall of the garage for hanging boat keys too.

I need something I can put on wheels to rollout to the dock from the garage. I have all the storage and racking in the garage but its much more stuff than we would on one day. I don't want to build a ski/gear rack that stays on the dock when I leave the lake and trips back to the garage from the dock every set is too much.

I want to build a tack that will hold three to four sets on gear that I can load in the garage and roll it out to the dock.

Any ideas welcome.

• Baller

Looks like you could build hotel style valet cart that incorporates four 2 ft x large dia vertical PVC pipes to hold skis. Padding the top of the tubes. You would also have a convenient way to move gas cans, an ice chest or tool box as needed.

Take a 1" strip of velcro and secure it to the frame. I use a 1" x 12" strip in my storage shed horizontally stapled across the edge of a shelf. Makes a great place to stick drying ski gloves.

tophotelsupply.com/product_p/783-3135.htm

http://www.bellmancartsolutions.com/Architectural-Brass-Ski-Cart-p/ab-skicart.htm

Chuck we have a similar setup. We keep the cheap starter skis old slalom stuff in wooden well vented boxes at the doc that are also seats, built in one day 15 years ago. Each skier carries their own special ski from the car garage 300 feet away to the dock every time. Way to easy for a boat to pull up to the dock at night cut a lock and steel good stuff.

• Baller
Casters are kind of unstable, hard, rough, loud and horrible to use on anything other than a perfectly smooth floor. Maybe a couple of bicycle wheels at one end with handles at the other like a wheelbarrow would be nicer in practice ... or even pneumatic wheelbarrow wheels.

• Baller

Reviving an old discussion here. I’m working with the guy who builds Rocker Racks ski racks for snow skis and snow boards, to build them for water skis. They are pretty cool, as is, but you have to take the padding off the tines and can only be held fin up. I’ve given him some measurements so hopefully I can try them soon. Heres the link to his site. https://rockerskirack.com/

This is my current rack

sagwlq52c6fw.jpeg

• Baller

@teammalibu it seems the best option for small space. I can screw this to a post in the boathouse. If he builds me a set, spaced properly for water skis, the padding on the tines is more than sufficient. Honestly, I wouldn’t have considered leaving the skis I did put on it without the pads except the pressure on them is so light. I am not going to hang my ski with the MOB boot/release setup on this iteration, as there is a weight/pressure relationship that would concern me without padding. With padding, I’d feel totally comfortable hanging any ski on it. It just looks like a very simple solution to a storage problem. Otherwise we have my other rack(s) which I’m sure look more like yours B)

sch51otka8hg.jpeg