Combo Tricks - ?

BraceMaker

• Baller

I'm casually shopping for a pair of Trick Skis for the boat quiver and to have more things for guests to give a try.

When I first tried, our neighbor had those old Obrien VIP Tricks (Graphite!!!!). These are fairly frequently for sale on Ebay - sometimes ski it again for around 100-150 shipped in various condition.

Also occasionally I see the newer Obrien Pro-Trac ski. Are either of these a better buy?

Is there a different pair of trick skis I should hold out for?

• Baller
@bracemaker I have skied on many combo trick skis both new and old but I always seem to come back to the Obrien Pro tracs. I have found out a few things about combo tricks. First off, I know that the ski itself does not give any performance benefits no matter what ski it is. It just has to have 2 groves on the side, which 99% do. It all comes back to the bindings. The pro tracs have decent bindings and they give you a great advantage over older bindings. If you can find a pair of ANY cheap tricks I would get them and slap on some bindings such as Wiley's. you will then have some the best pair of tricks, because what it all comes back to the bindings. If you are just looking to get into tricking, 180 turns and 1 foots, the pro tracs will serve you very well because there aren't a whole lot of other tricks you can do other than the ones I stated above. Tricking is a great way to end the day after a good set, or if the water is a bit chopy.

• Baller

Not that I am in anyway a good trick skier, but I have a single trick for myself - this is a "shared equipment" purchase. Just like I have my own slalom ski, but maintain several bits of kit for guests.

Any of the older ones I would be putting a modern adjustable binding on them, probably a front lace up style adjustable, and an RTP for a RT/LT set up.

Essentially, last summer the water on our lake was such crap for slalom that I gave up and rode the trick ski more. I had a single VIP w/ Wiley's boot, which I upgraded at the end of summer to a D3 with a FM Revo for next summer, but since I enjoy it so much even on crap water, I figured I'd set something up for guests/relatives etc.

Does that change the recommendation? Are the Pro Tracs really the "buy"

• Baller
@bracemaker I believe that is what combo trick skiing is really all about. The "tubing" with a little more energy, if you will. For your purposes, I think the Pro Tracs would suit you very well. However, make sure that if you buy them, you get the 2011 or newer. They changed the bindings and are a lot better. Hope this helps!

• Baller_
I have a pare of pro tacs and thought they were just like cheap combo tricks for guests and such. Have a single Kidder with a nice high rap that I use for fun. Went to MN one yr and tried one of my buddy's Pro Tracs (used it as a single of the pair) with his Wiley highrap. WOW what a difference the binding made. HUGE. My combos just had the cheap adjustable bindings. I ended up doing all the stuff on his pro trac single that I could do on the Kidder with ease. I am not a tricker but what @tfriess says is exactly what I experienced. Go for the Po Tracks and slap some decent binders on them and have fun. When guests arrive swap out for some adjustable ones for safety.

• Baller

Double tricks suck! Instead of double tricks, get an old wakeboard, pull the fins off, grind the molded fins (if any) off and mount the bundings symmetrical duck footed. Now you can do all the basics and learn real trick skiing style. Plus when they go wakeboarding with wakeboard friends, they can impress wakeboarders with a nice basic trick style run.

Double tricks are harder to ride and learn on. The injury potential is high - from clacked shins to stretched groins.

Daffys and spread eagles are fun for snow ski crossover playing. A huge 2 ski helicopter is really impressive and WLO or WLBB are insane looking on 2. But these are not for the casual Pro Trac newbie.

If you want the extra points from repeating the basics on two, spend the time learning a couple toe tricks instead. More points and potential.

Admittedly, I learned on a pair of Obrien doubles - but that was decades ago.

Heresy, but guest trick skis should be a flat bottom wakeboard.

Eric