Sans Rival Thoughts?

Brady

• Baller
As a good supporter of this site, I was browsing around looking at some of the advertisers to the site. I came across the banner ad for Sans Rival and am curious to see your thoughts about these skis? I looked through the threads and I didn't locate anything talking about this company. From their website, they have one skier in the top 15 ranking and they have a few skiers going deep into 41. Looking for thoughts on this ski etc.

• Baller
Last year I purchased the Nano Mid, Sans Rival SR2, and the HO S2....Horton's evaluation is very good....I considered the Sans R2 a very good short line ski...Didn't seem to kick in till 35 off..Ski feels very unstable waiting for the pullout, but once it is on edge very, very, fast....Not a great ski to practice different technique with, but a very good serious tournament ski.

I've been skiing on an SR2 since reading Hortons review last year.

I'm still in love with the ski - It does everything well. I ski at 58kph and I'm now regularly running the 14m. Before I switched skis (from a Sixam SS) I'd run the 16m once, so I'm more than a pass better.

I don't find mine as unstable as Ed mentions above, though I did add a ventral to the fin (as per his recommendation) which settled it down nicely.

• Baller

Just picked up a Sans Rival about a month ago but only have about 12 sets on it. Missed a weekend (only ski weekends) and temps have been dropping every ride so hard to dial. So with sub-optimal settings: First impression when it was warm (upper 60's) is stupid easy to get wide, stable, fast enough (not as fast as the Nano), a bit roll unstable in the turn. Can be skied forward or back but likes a nice stacked position, seems to help to put me there which is very cool. As it has gotten colder (low 50's) performance went away till I took out depth and wing angle for last set. Felt good and ran some 28's and 32's even though it was dark and raining (driver missed the course once 'cause she couldn't see). Overall ski does seem to get better the shorter you go. Appears to be a very well built ski, makes most others look home-built.

@Ryno, what settings you running?

@BRY

My current settings are fairly close to stock:

66" SR2

Front Boot 750mm from tail

Fin Length 176mm

Fin Depth 62.5mm

DFT 20mm (though it's hard to know where to accurately measure this from)

I run a Schnitz mini wing at 0 deg in a normal front ventral position

And a rear Schnitz HO/D3 Style wing in the standard position at 9 deg

• Baller

@Ryno Thanks for the reply. 9 deg, interesting that works. I went from the recommended 8 to 7 and now am at 6 deg. Odd in that Sans goes up in angle as water gets colder.

@Hugh Nichols On my very first ride it wasn't that it turned slow so much as it didn't grab any angle at the finish of the turn. Fin forward and deeper fixed that. But it is a round tight turn it wants to make. After hopping off the NanoMid it did not seem as fast but took less effort and got me there earlier (more space). I think the rounder turn gets me the angle later and builds angle into the wake so easier to maintain the angle to the edge change, casting me out wider yet slower. Im liking it.

@BRY Do you ski at 58kph or 55kph?

I noticed in your profile you ski on a 68" SR2... my 66" has less surface area so I think (at 58kph) I need the extra wing angle to help slow down!

The only gremlin I'm dealing with is some porpoising (or bounce) in my offside turn. It's something I've had to iron out with other skis in the past. I usually cure this problem by moving the bindings forward, but in this case I'm trying to make small fin adjustments to cure the problem. This last thing I want to do is sacrifice any other area of the skis phenomenal performance.

• Baller

@Ryno Im an old guy so I ski chick's speed. But then I like skiing with chicks....

2nd @Horton about adding length, should keep tip engaged better. Also, make sure you are not on your back foot in the turn.