Difference between Mapple and "new school" skiers

Omland

• Baller
How would you describe the differences between Mapple (and possibly others) and some of the "new school" skiers, if any? I was reading some of the posts by @MarcusBrown in the thread on Nate Smith that @Horton posted. When I watch videos of Mapple it seems he doesn't really open up to the boat like Marcus describes. I also don't see as much counter rotation. Would you all agree with this? Is there other aspects that are different? Has one style proved to be more effective or easier?

• Baller

There seems to be a misconception that in order to be a "New School" skier, it requires legs compressed, butt dropping, etc....Nothing could be further from the truth....It is about "Efficiency of Movement" and controlling COM.

Andy's style now is different from years a go, prior to ZO...He has become very efficient and in concert with ZO...I have skied with him and his favorite word is "Lean." But that one word is part of "Where, When, and How." He has a complete understanding of how ZO works, especially since he helped design it...His main point to me was how to make ZO work FOR you and not AGAINST you...Thus "Efficiency of Movement," which Andy demonstrates extremely well.

• Baller

I remember watching guys like Carl Roberge, Kjellander, Morgan. They would crank a turn and then close their shoulders as much as possible while they "pulled" as hard as they could across the course. Now that I think back, I don't think Mapple or LaPoint were ever quite as closed as the rest of them. But my memory is sketchy at best, so I could be way off!