Bad idea?

Cam

• Baller

I got into skiing late and didn’t run my first pass of the slalom course until I was 34 years old and started shortening the line at 34 mph when I was in my 40s and managing a tournament best of 2 @ 32 off when in my 50s

Now in my early 60s I have been toying with the idea of taking a couple of years out of tournaments to try skiing at 36mph and see what the difference is.

Looking for advice from all you guys who have skied at 36 and dropped to 34 to see if it is a good idea or not, I do know a few people who say it is just not the same buzz skiing at 34 compared to 36.

This might just end up one of my misguided whims.

Cam

• Baller
Mix it up. Thats what keeps it interesting. I skied 36 for a few weeks after I was done with tournaments. It was fun but less forgiving of mistakes. I took one of the hardest falls of my life when my Reflex pre-released.

• Baller

I think the biggest issue will be your physical health. Do you consider yourself fitter than most for your age? I think there is a much greater chance of injury, and any old injuries will be more likely to reappear. I would guess that you have to ski less because you are sore more of the time.

I love skiing 34 occasionally. I am light at <145lb so I find it easier on the body and you have so much more time.

I say bad idea. Why risk hurting yourself and possibly skiing less?

• Baller

If you want to speed up your reflexes for 34, try a few sets at 35. No need to push the limits at 36 and risk more injury, 35 works great. One of the top Big Dawg skiers put me on to practicing at 35 two years a go.

It WILL make 34 seem slower when you go back. I only do it at 28 to 35 off, to stay in my comfort zone.

35 works great, Ed

@cam, I am like you in the fact that I didn't start skiing the course until I was 35 and working up to 34 took a while. I tried 36 once a couple years ago ran 28 so I was happy enough to leave it at that. I do remember thinking holy cow I am going fast.

I think one advantage many other 34 mph skiers have over us older starting skiers is that they skied at 36 mph, so there is some muscle memory.

For me personally I think it would take me more time (one or two seasons) getting used to the speed at longers lines and wouldn't really benefit my quest for shortening the line.

34 to 33 is huge for my shorter lines when we have weeds on the prop. so I could only imagine 36 to 34 has the same effect on someone who is used to running faster.

• Baller
36mph can be a lot of fun. I'm 49 years old but still ski some 36 when I just feel like going out and having some fun. The speed and swing are really cool. If you are skiing at all well, you can run your "easier" passes even easier. Just no effort with that much swing.

• Baller

36 is skiing. Anything slower is just something we have to live with because the powers that be have messed things up.

Having said that, I don't think that starting to go 36 after 30 years of 34 is the best idea. I do agree with doing some 35mph skiing. It gives you a bit more whip, but is not much of a transition. I think you would like it.

• Baller

I am just thinking about trying 36 to see the difference, my standard of skiing would probably not see me getting much farther than 22 off and I would probably be happy wth a couple of buoys at 28 off.

If I do it I will most likely go into rec mode and raise the speed slowly from 34 to 36 rather than jumping straight into 36.

• Baller
@stuartmwood thanks but you John A and Greg P were a few of the guys that told me you couldn't beat the buzz of 36mph, but then again there must be a reason why guys 26 years my junior opt to sky at 34, should really try to act my age.

• Baller

Just my own observations, but I'd caution you to be careful my friend. 36 has, IMHO a lot more risk of injury. Especially if you don't have a history of coming from that speed at a younger age. If you want to continue to have challenges in this tremendous sport, ski at 34, continue to challenge shorter line lengths, and then go compete! There's no greater thrill than taking your great performances and lining them up against other Ballers and friends.

You will meet a tremendous amount of great people that I'm sure will become good friends while encouraging each other to do better and better!

Especially great fun from behind the boat and not from the beach while in a cast.

Go get'em!