You know you have a problem when ....

Horton

• Baller
You broke your hip skiing last month, but continued to ski anyway and then you fell last week and tore your MCL and Miniscus and get to have not one, but 2 surgeries this winter. All while not telling your wife about the first and having her find out about it from going to the appt of the second doctor. And finally, trying to find an old brace from football to use to continue skiing anyway. (already need surgery...what is the worst that could happen?) Cortizone Baby!!!!

• Baller

@douglasbrady is a monster. I have a stupid injured but keep skiing story that resulted in surgery, but I can't top that one so here goes a different story of addiction:

Super-hot cougar dance instructor I had been seeing at the gym invites teen-age me to go out w/her. Razorskier1's boat had been stolen (story for another time) and we figure if I haul Dad's boat to Minneapolis we could ski the weekend. I went skiing instead of scoring the cougar (sorry @shaneH). If that ain't sick in the head....

• Baller
@6balls. Dude, you are the monster!!!! @Horton, I know, I am either passionate or am a downright idiot. Once I realized that I can't mess it up worse, I figured, what the hell. The knee is another problem, cause the damn thing keeps moving around and I can't make it stay in the same place, so unfortunately, I think I am done skiing for a few months. I was trying to tell you guys that I was having some nasty wipeouts. One thing has been established, I ain't afraid of no wake!! Bit afraid of the wife, but I can handle that...

• Baller
I had a hard time dragging my wife to the lake this summer, but just as the seasons began to change she caught the bug. Bad. To the point that she skied until October 7 with nothing more than a heater top. In Montana. After it had snowed. The rest of us were in our toasty dry suits. I may have another driver next summer!

• Baller
Like all of you, I've skied through a lot of injuries. I've had seven orthopedic surgeries to show for it. When I had the "easy" shoulder surgery, a distal clavical excision, I asked the doctor about skiing. He said the surgery (cutting bone off of your clavical) didn't destabilize the joint, so it was really a matter of pain tolerance. I was skiing 5 days later. Hurt . . . a lot, but what the heck. A few years after that one I tore the labrum in my right shoulder doing a one handed 6 ball at 35 off in a tournament. Slammed the handle in the water reaching the ski for the ball, couldn't get my left hand back to the handle. Took the slack hit with one hand and skied out. That one started hurting a lot after that. Every time I got pulled up out of the water I wanted to scream. Skied for two more months to finish the season, then surgery. This spring I hit the top of my foot on my ski in my one nasty fall of the season. Broke my foot. Just kept skiing. It hurt for about 6 weeks, then it just looked odd (big bump and all swollen) after that. Hey, the season is short -- you can't let a little pain get in your way. @6balls says I would have been arthritic with or without all these stupid choices, so why not just ski it up!

• Baller
@BraceMaker. People truly underestimate the healing power of ice. To this day, I get in an ice bath on a daily basis. It is a great anti inflammatory!! Sorry about the injury, but glad you have that attitude. Pain sucks. I tell it to go to hell and it does!

• Baller

Skied a tourney 2 yrs ago w/@razorskier1. Torched my back taking a big slack hit out the end gates in round 3 of first tourney. Initially scratched for second tourney as first round was later that same day. Took some prednisone, iced, laid low and penciled back "in".

Someone set my ski on the dock, I couldn't bend over to get my foot in the binding so Jim soaped it and held it open while I got my foot in there. Hole shots were awful, wake crossings got my attention...skied my tourney avg.

• Baller
Skied a tournament about 6 years ago with a ruptured disk in my back. Six round weekend. Skied round one of the first tournament but almost couldn't get up because my legs were so weak. Skipped rounds two and three. Had several "lightning bolt" pains that dropped me to my knees while walking. Next day a ski friend who is a chiropractor took a shot at me. Skied two of three rounds and ran into 38. After that weekend my right leg lost about 90% of strength and became numb all the way to my foot. 6 months of anti-inflammatory drugs, pain, weakness and physical therapy later I was skiing again.

• Baller
After minor surgery on my back , the doc said no lifting, no skiing for a few days-might bust the stitches. Now she tells me! I knew that I had maybe 2-3 more ski days left before the weather changed and we lowered the lake for winter maintenance. So I thought what's the worst that can happen? I'll just it get restitched. My bigger worry was infection. Put duct tape on it and skied-stiches held and I got the last three days in!

• Baller
OK, last one I promise(maybe, there are a few more)...took massive barefoot header at Jim's place, seeing stars and knew my neck took a hit. Figured in a few hours no chance I could turn my head left/right etc so figured I should foot a little more before I tightened up. Progressively lost my left tricep, pec, and wrist extensors. Surgery to remove the big chunk of disc no longer connected to the rest and lodged in my C6-C7 nerve root. 14 years ago...good to go since (other than my numb pinky finger).

• Baller
Took a bad header into the wake screwing around on a wakeboard because of the Walleys. Board stuck into wake and stopped dead breaking lil ole me in half with major head slam. Saw stars and then realized I had lost sight in my right eye. Sight slowly returned over the course of ten minutes as I kept skiing. Explains a lot for some!

• Baller
@bracemaker, it's not my fault!! You have to realize I was in part raised by my older brothers who would ask me what I thought of that pain while I was rolling around in it..."love pain" I was trained to say. Their friends thought this was funny. Damaged for life, I say...no amount of schooling was able to fix it!

• Baller_
@Skoot1123 but that involves what hurts :(. Guess I'll break out the push mower for the FL grass. Or ski backwards with a slit handle of some kind so I'm pushing my way down the lake. Anything to avoid pushups and bench press. Hate both. I think @6balls (and other med guys) should have a health injury info Q&A page named "it hurts here" .

• Baller

When I never listens to what the doc says.

Waiting for my 7th knee surgery in my right knee in a couple of weeks got Me thinking of a doc who talked to me after he had performed an arthoscopic surgery to remove some loose items floating in the knee.

He actually thought I needed help Walking up the stairs by the look of cartilage damage when I told him I was qualified to ski Swedish nationals Open division waterski slalom and was planning to Do that. lol

Sprained both ankles in an sideway /out the front offside turn fall in choppy water.

Ski skips out , tip re -grabs and Fogman bar gets jammed between release pins.

Both feet were Blue all around the sides above the soles, xrayed and doc who examined me said "looks like you got Lucky this time, should recover with rehab but you know, you cannot Do this again " Well, 3-4 weeks later I went out and did the exact same thing again.

My ankles have really never been the same after that.

• Baller
Have an appointment today for an arthogram for my knee and hip where they inject dye and then do an MRI. I found a brace that stabilized the knee and yeah, i went out and skied this morning. Pain was tremendous in the knee, but it stayed in place. Swollen like a pumpkin...planning on telling the doc i tripped in the shower. Glad to get one last set in, now hurry up and fix the damn thing so I can play some more. Side note, @OB, "Honey, my doctor appointment is at 8am and it lasts for several hours, so I will be home around 2pm" It worked brother!!!!!

• Baller

@Brady. Hope your wife doesn't start reading BOS. You'll be busted. What'd the doc say?

Also, know your trying to lose weight. I needed to lose weight a few years ago for health reasons. I decided to cut out some of my carb intake. I continued to eat well and lost weight very quickly with little exercise. What I did is think of things I liked that would help me loss weight. I ate steaks, fish, grill chicken, lots of BBQ, lots of grill chicken salads with only lemon for dressing. For vegetables I steamed them usually. If I went out and had a hamburger I didn't eat fries or bread. I cut out breads, corn, still ate a few potatoes. No sweet drinks. You get the picture. On the weekend I would pick 1 or 2 things I really missed. Usually deserts.

I lost 40lbs so quick people were asking if I was sick. I never really felt like I was on a diet. In fact I was enjoying eating as much as ever.

• Baller

@gregy. Thanks for the words of wisdom....much appreciated. As for the wife finding out, maybe then she will realize how much I love this sport and how much I want to move. I shouldn't have to to feel this guilty about something that is not wrong.....My luck, I will end up on a Jerry Springer show. Wives of husbands who are cheating with their Radars. :)

As for the injuries, I got some great news from the Doc today. I have a torn Labrum in the hip along with bone spurs from compression injuries from football. Bottom line, doesn't need to be operated on yet and the doctor mistook the bone spurs for a broken bone. As for the knee, a partial tear of the MCL and the meniscus. Be out for 2 months, BUT no surgery there as well. Doc said as soon as I can stand the pain, have at it! Too bad he doesn't know my pain threshold!!