Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Radar Strada Bindings location & set up

Morg

• Baller

Ok, So the 2012 Radar Strada's size 13-14 showed up today. I am mounting using the separate plates. Ski is a HO S1 67".

Front boot all the way forward. 30-3/8" from the outside of the heal to the tail. My rubber boots were @ 30-5/8".

The rear boot being closed toe ends up 1" further back.

I really liked the balance before, but never tested the rubber boots in different positions.

Any input?

• Baller

Yeah, about 1/8" between the boots. If these were "Hard" shells I would be cutting the toe out of the rear boot. Just measured again 1-1/2" difference. They fell very separated.

When I was 13 years old I was not tall for my age, yet I was wearing size 13 shoes. I should have cut my toes of years ago. Would have saved huge on shoes. Now I am 5'11" 185lbs. Luckily my feet stopped @ size 13-1/2.

• Baller

Never have seen a rear binding position published, I use the corresponding size wiley's binding ankle to ankle distance as my litmus test for issues in binding placement.

So if the Wiley's ankle to ankle are 1/2" closer than your current, then you obviously have some drawbacks. Perhaps on a single sequence plate you might cant the rear bindings toe out and slide them closer?

• Baller
BraceMaker, I was able to cant the rear boot & squish the toe a little in the front & move the boots a little closer to each other, 3/8". Just like you described. Pretty much ready for the water. Also when looking for set up I realized my fin was to deep, too far back & only had maybe 5 deg on the wing. So much for changing only one thing at a time. I have now changed everything. Looking forward to trying it out.

• Baller

@Morg Stradas are a bit thicker than rubber bindings at the back due to the liner-in-shell design. When measuring the front Strada's distance from tail, you should measure from the top thread where the boot is sewn onto the sole. So your front ankle location is probably okay.

For the back boot, the rubber toe of the rear boot is flexible enough that you can force it a full hole further forward than where the boots first touch. It deforms the toe slightly, but does no damage, still fits fine, and gets your rear foot 3/8" further forward if that's what you're looking for.

• Baller

I really really liked having the Radar double boots but couldn't deal with the rear after I figured my feet were probably more than an inch further apart. I tried different boot spacing with double Wileys and found close was better but couldn't get near that with double Stradas. Now have front Strada and rear wiley high wrap. Ditto on figure out where your front ankle is relative to your other boot setup and go with that.

FWIW I also use a 13/14 size binding. At 6'2" 205 lbs 55K I am a little heavy for my 67 Elite. I think bigger feet probably need to be closer together so they don't get too far off the reservation and goof up ski performance. It would be sweet to be about 170 lbs with size ten feet...

• Baller
Now I am starting to get worried about how I am going to set up my Strata boots! I too, have the 13-14's and from this thread I am starting to get panicked as to where I should place them. The front of the back boot plate is more than one inch as well as the back of the front plate. I probably could cut them down, but with the nature of the closed-toe design, my feet are going to be naturally separated. Add the plates and my feet are going to be quite apart.

• Baller

@Brady - shouldn't be a huge deal, read about what was posted before, that's been my experience with this style of binding system.

As I've commented before, no mfg publishes a rear ankle location, I think the biggest issue people have with large feet is if they have short legs it is uncomfortable to get both feet to the ski with the knees and hips in comfortable positions.

When you set them up, it doesn't hurt to set the rear one up rotated excessively to get it forwards, then once all the screws are started turn the boot towards straighter, wedge the boots together and torque the screws. That's assume the style of plate I am familiar with.

For what it's worth this was posted by Sully (the radar one) on teamtalk some time ago:

Hello all,

I'd like to jump in and say that heating them in the oven is not that productive for the liners.

Here's why:

When the Intuition foam reaches "molding temp" the foam expands and softens. The goal is to have the liner in the shell so it is expanding against the inside of the boot. This will fill ANY small space between the liner and the shell. The inside of the liner is then ready for your foot to pack out only to the shape of your foot.

If the liner is heated outside of the shell, when it is placed back into the shell, it is crushed and deformed before your foot has had a chance to shape it. you'd be better off riding the boots without using the forming process as a lot of people do. This would be the better option.

Any snow ski boot fitter can also heat them for you, if you do not have a water-ski pro shop nearby.

My two cents... let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.

Sully

Radar Brand Manager