HO's New Target Market Share?

ToddL

• Baller

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100325420731520

HO seems to be targeting the advanced, open-water skier. Given some statements in other threads about the small % of buoy chasers who actually compete, and the small percentage of slalom skiers who actual chase buoys; is the biggest market this open-water skier? Maybe HO is on to something...?

• Baller

http://www.ballofspray.com/2012-ski-test/537-the-2010-ho-coefficient-x

I was reading up on it a bit as well, more as a course ski than a open-water ski. My question really comes down to, at which point does this ski taper out? Is this ski appropriate up till people are running 38's or at 36 mph? When should a skier not consider this ski?

• Baller_

I took the CoXsl into deep 38 (34) with ease. Ticked me off that I never ran it before I had to take it back. Sooo close. Demoed it for weeks cause I kept going back to it. Very fun to ride. It was physically easy to ride. 35s were effortless in that regard. It is a serious shotline ski IMHO and was at the very top of my list of skies to buy. Watched my Italian friend run deep 39 this summer. He bought one.

I think the new Free Rides are a good marketing set up. They made the edge of the ski... "like a wakeboard".... My question is..does that make a difference in it's performance or is that a way to link a more popular open water sport (wakeboarding) with the dwindling open water ski market. Either way it's a good idea and I'd love to try one.

• Baller

To me if you aren't into "slalom skiing" you're probably going to be purchasing your ski gear through either:

Marina Pro Shop

Local sporting equipment shop

Barts/Overtons.

As such your ski will probably be Obrien or HO, as these two are represented at those veendors, and Radar to a certain extent, particularly at places like mastercraft dealerships.

You just won't see many high end slalom skis at these places, atleast not from all the mfgs. And particularly the high end 1000+ blank skis, which just won't get that many sales.

Hence this being an HO ski not a Syndicate ski probably puts it on more shelves than most other high end skis.

• Baller
I agree it's "always been about the open water market". Having said that, the open water market has ALWAYS been heavily influenced by the ski that's capable of running the most buoys!! It's the same for golf clubs, race cars, basketball shoes, etc. Professional success sells.... Period. A dominant open water ski won't actually dominate until we see a competitive open water skiing class - which we won't see anytime soon. MHO