Personal skiing quirks

bbirlew

• Baller

Seems slalom skiers are a quirky bunch (at least some of the guys I've skied with!).

While I won't 'out' my ski crew I'll share a few of mine.

-I always face the same direction on the swim grid getting my ski on. Nothing superstitious, but I'd probably fall in the water if I tried the other way!

-I always start with the rope on the left side of my ski (odd for a left foot forward?)

-always squeeze the water out of and adjust the Velcro on my mitts if there is enough setup time between getting up and skiing.

-up until about a year ago, I HAD to get my hair wet before trick skiing. Even when doing a dock start I'd hop in the water before getting my ski on, and then climb back onto the dock to start!!

(I'm sure there are others I'm not even aware of, but you will have to ask my crew about that!)

Anyone else care to share some quirks of their own or their crew? I know I'm not the only one!!

• Baller

Driver hops up, takes the skiers ski and dumps any water, bag is already on the motor box. Stuff it in there, put it next to the motor box behind driver's seat and wind the rope. While driver gets read to ski, guy who just skied pulls drivers ski up on motor box, takes from bag and puts it on the platform. Handle goes on stern w/soap nearby.

Two guy skiing system between myself and @cowtipperguy.

• Baller
While skiing for three years in a PowerVest, I got into the habit of undoing the Velcro of my gloves while gliding to a stop at the end of each set, then taking off my gloves so the PV straps didn't restrict my ability to reach the laces on my Strada bindings. I never thought it was quirky, just efficient. Now that I'm skiing without the PV, I keep leaving my gloves in the lake because they're no longer attached to the PV straps. Now it's a quirky little habit that I can't seem to break. I'm like the little kid whose mom has to tie his mittens to a string through the sleeves of his jacket so he doesn't lose them now.

• Baller

I work really hard at undoing all my quirks. Quirks give a wonderful sense of comfort. Conditions at a tournament will rarely match practice. You must be able ski without that comfortable feeling if you want tournament performances to match practice. Practice violating your ritual will ease the tournament discomfort.

Practice pulling on the ski from both sides for sure! Too many starting docks are one way. Don't start your run off balance or tired out from getting the ski on.

Wet hair before skiing can really hurt you. If you transition from hot training to a cold tournament that ritual is toxic.

New tournament shorts were always lucky - until the tag flapping on my back distracted me.

Any quirk I can identify, I try to (at least occasionally) bust it. Hopefully that makes me a tougher competitor.

Eric

• Baller
I just try to go ski. There is very little that I do once I'm in the boat that is a "quirk". What is true is that I'm almost always pressed for time, so the skier switch better happen efficiently or I start getting all hinky about it. Oh, and I do care about my rope. Never wind it in loops with the handle end out!

• Baller_

yes on the spit, no on the pee on every pass.

My daughter used to sing to her self while she ski's.

My son has no quirks unless being mad at water molecules is a quirk!

My wife' skiing quirk is the inability to comprehend nor receive coaching.....from anyone!

• Baller
Ear plugs, rash guard (even though I probably don't need one), put ski on from the same side, if in tourny say a prayer to myself before I get in the water, need to have my Superfreak shorts down to my knees, Oh and pee when I have to. "Prop check"

• Baller
@scotchipman. Why don't you post your quirks about boat cleanliness after getting out of the lake? Ya know, like your 3 separate wipe downs and your trailer cleaning system. Or your wiping down the bottom of the engine compartment. Is it any wonder why you have the cleanest Malibu in the western united states!!! Feel free to use my 197 any time you would like.. Please use your quirks on my boat too. :)

• Baller

I knew I wasn't the only one!

@eleeski, I'm actually one of the most laid back skiers you'll meet (I'm probably one of the only guys left to use the 'tournament handle'. In fact, last time @ Canadian nats I think I had to borrow one from the guy in front of me since they couldn't find the tournament one!

The jumping in the water before tricking thing started off as a "always start in the water and get my hair wet" thing (even in down to 4deg Celsius water!) but a few of the tourney lakes around here had really muddy shorelines and my back foot would get slippery on my ski. One day my back foot came flying out in the middle of a wflipb. Jumping in and then getting out for a dock start was a way to simulate a water start without risking a slippery ski.

I don't do it anymore, but it served its purpose to get me comfortable before tournaments.

Nothing wrong with a little pre ski ritual to help you find your 'ideal performance state'!

• Members
Not my quirk but a ski buddies and this is no BS. Once he's on the platform, in his ski and ready to go he stands there and drains his bladder! He doesn't drop his shorts either, just stands there and pee's. I told him he should really talk to someone about this.

• Baller
I'm pretty much with @Razorskier1 and @elleski. Differing conditions, different handles, different boats etc don't affect me too much. I just wanna go ski. I will admit to one quirk, which in some circles I'm pretty much known for. I wear a nose plug on getup and I keep spares in my boat, friends boats, my ski bags etc so I'm never without one. For whatever reason I can't get up without getting water crammed up my nose so probably 20+ years ago I finally started using a nose plug. Pull it off immediately after pull up, put it on before next pull up. That and a honking big metal knee brace on my right knee. Everyone is so used to the nose plug they quit making fun of me long ago.

• Baller
Nothing to make fun of Ed. Some people just can't avoid getting water up their nose for some reason. My father even has trouble in the shower. I don't know if it is the design of the individual's nose or what. I've never been able to dive without getting water up my nose, even if I exhale. For some reason, falling when skiing usually isn't a problem for me though. Guess it happens so fast that everything locks up.

• Baller

At each end of the course i start with both feet in, but if i fall mid-course, when the boat picks me up i always start one foot in. I should start one foot always because its better on my back.

I always end up with my reflex boot on a good five minutes before i go so as soon as my slot opens up im ready!

Oh and i always do lucky adjusting with my fin by not hanging it off the dock/swim deck.

@PT Mike I have a friend that does that too. He got a bladder infection once and will never pee in the water again, I got over it pretty quick.

I always get in my ski front foot, then rear, facing spotter (LFF). When I'm in my boat I always like to go last, I want everyone else to have a good set before I do. I smile after every pass.

LLF....hard shells....facing drivers side......rear in first..... adjust liner...buckle......Front foot .....adjust liner....buckle......repeat adjustments again.....flak out rope in water behind boat prior to one hopping in.

Then on the ends......work rope to center....no matter who's driving.....drives me nuts if the rope hangs off the gunwales.......other then that not much........